Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Shoulder holsters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/shoulder-holsters-42829/)

itsmycall 05-21-2011 07:29 PM

Shoulder holsters

I need your thoughts on leather vs synthetic/nylon shoulder holsters. I have a nylon, and like the light weight and flexibility, but it seems the leather may be more comfortable. Wondering about the extra weight, shoulder straps have to be more comfortable.

canebrake 05-21-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmycall (Post 509207)
I need your thoughts on leather vs synthetic/nylon shoulder holsters. I have a nylon, and like the light weight and flexibility, but it seems the leather may be more comfortable. Wondering about the extra weight, shoulder straps have to be more comfortable.

Do you wear it empty?

What gun??

Jake15 05-21-2011 10:02 PM

I've got both types of holsters, and I prefer the nylon over the leather, mainly because the nylon is a universal fit holster and the leather only fits my revolver. Leather also isn't that good in hotter weather for many obvious reasons. I've been looking into the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder holsters, I really like the retention on them, and their nice and lightweight as well. But overall I prefer a nice, well-made nylon shoulder holster over a leather one of the same quality but that's just my opinion.

itsmycall 05-21-2011 10:28 PM

Thanks Jake

CA357 05-21-2011 11:53 PM

Is it for every day carry or camping once in a while? What size handgun? Pistol or revolver? What's your body type?

Car54 05-22-2011 12:49 AM

I've used only leather shoulder rigs, one for a S&W mod 66, and the the others for Glock 17/23's. and a Glock 30. I liked the fit of the gun to the holster and the wider shoulder harness for comfort. I wore them anywhere from 8 to 12 hours during the day when I was working.

headhunter 05-25-2011 01:17 PM

I like and use Uncle Mikes (for hunting ) and a Bianchi X-15 ( for cc). I worn out a couple of Uncle Mikes and I just replaced the elastic on my Bianchi. The Bianchi holds several sizes quite well. If your thinking about a shoulder rig for a striker fired semiauto without a safety, make sure the holster will completely cover the trigger guard. Shoulder holsters are a bit slow, but seem to be the most comfortable way to carry an all steel gun (other than a J frame) all day.

hogrider 05-25-2011 01:55 PM

I too wear a shoulder holster. One thing you don't hear to much about is the affect sweat has on leather. If you sweat like I do, a bunch, you'll probably need to replace you rig more than a nylon one. I've replace my Galco this year. It went about 8 years. Still that's pretty good I think given how wet it would be at the end of a day of work. And it would go longer I guess, I just didn't trust it anymore. Afraid it might break at the wrong time and cause me to have to expose the weapon. So the point is, sweat affects leather shortening it's life. So take that into consideration as well. Especially if you got a custom job which is what I did this time. And the custom does have thicker leather with will lengthen the life I'm guessing. Only time will tell for me. I also think leather is more comfortable as well.