You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear >

Shooting safety glasses over prescription glasses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1691 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 781

I'm required to wear prescription safety glasses at work,I have a pair clear and dark glasses.
Walmart eye care center is the cheapest place that I've found over the years,I think I paid around $70 a pair for them,and insurance paid most of that.
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Now I'm thinking of getting one of the following:

1. Rudy project
2. Revision
3. Wiley X
4. ESS

These all have prescription inserts you can use and just change out the safety/tint lenses as you please. And when your prescription changes, you just change out the inserts and not all the different colored lenses you have.

Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2016, 01:39 AM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Question is do you need a special Rx for shooting? It might be better to get a pair of inserts made. Check the ESS site for some options. If you have a pair of glasses that work for arm's length distance which is usually the distance to the gun sight OTS could work. I had a pair of computer glasses which worked for target but I did switch to shoot Rx inserts.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 3187 Posts
Likes Given: 4470

I got a special prescription. The basic adjustment for bifocals give you great resolution at about 15-18 inches, within arms reach. To get a clear image of the front sight the distance is about double that. So that correction changes.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/9th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-7-8-9-2017-a-121011/#post1814686

Old 04-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3868 Times on 2125 Posts
Likes Given: 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I got a special prescription. The basic adjustment for bifocals give you great resolution at about 15-18 inches, within arms reach. To get a clear image of the front sight the distance is about double that. So that correction changes.
I use poly carbonate trifocals with removable side shields. Top - distance, middle - computer or mid range, bottom - reading. I have clear and polarized. Not cheap.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #16

Liked 697 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
They guy that taught me guns were good and not bad () wore safety glasses over his prescription glasses. There are a variety of them to be had out there.

safety glasses to wear over prescription glasses
The Pyramex OTSXL is exactly what I've been using. They're great & inexpensive. I also use them for cutting grass & leaf blowing.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've mentioned I've used ESS Glasses with the RX inserts. I did have my local eye doctor to the inserts but just could've sent the Rx to ESS for them to do it and save time. They come with three lenses, yellow, clear and grey. Wiley X is a bit more expensive by around 40.00 my last count. I have three pair of ESS which work just fine. Mine are ICE but they have different models for different uses. One thing I do know is that eye safety works. After I've worn these various lenses, I can see the chip marks made in them from firing the handguns at the range. Check all these companies online and compare prices.