Shooting safety glasses over prescription glasses
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Shooting safety glasses over prescription glasses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shooting safety glasses over prescription glasses

Anyone have any good recommendations on safety glasses you wear over regular prescription glasses? There is not a whole lot of options out there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7308 Times on 4396 Posts
Likes Given: 8965

They guy that taught me guns were good and not bad () wore safety glasses over his prescription glasses. There are a variety of them to be had out there.

safety glasses to wear over prescription glasses

Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 397

My shooting glasses are prescription and are rated to stop 12ga birdshot more than enough for typical range debris.

Any decent optometrist can make prescription safety lenses

If your eye guy doesnt know what your talking about find a new one. My frames take interchangeable lenses i have a set of lenses for pistol rifle and shotgun. My pistol lenses have a bifical that aligns with my natural pistol hold and focuses on th front sight. My rifle ones have no bifocal and neither does my shotgun lenses but they are a redish tint which makes clay pigeons look like black dots. Very easy to see.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 106 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My shooting glasses are prescription and are rated to stop 12ga birdshot more than enough for typical range debris.

Any decent optometrist can make prescription safety lenses

If your eye guy doesnt know what your talking about find a new one. My frames take interchangeable lenses i have a set of lenses for pistol rifle and shotgun. My pistol lenses have a bifical that aligns with my natural pistol hold and focuses on th front sight. My rifle ones have no bifocal and neither does my shotgun lenses but they are a redish tint which makes clay pigeons look like black dots. Very easy to see.
Is the focal center of you rifle and shotgun classes shifted to the inside corner of your dominant eye? I only ask because because I wear my glasses at the range. They work okay but since I look thought the section closer to my nose, the correction isn't as good as it should be.

Just curious

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine are a prescription Bollie with interchangeable lens.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
Is the focal center of you rifle and shotgun classes shifted to the inside corner of your dominant eye? I only ask because because I wear my glasses at the range. They work okay but since I look thought the section closer to my nose, the correction isn't as good as it should be.

Just curious

EDUB
my eye glass guy had me bring my rifle and pistol in so he could see where im looking and thats where he put the focal point for handguns and rifles. so those lenses are kinda odd when using them for anything but looking down the sights.

my rifle ones are a little off center since my main use is scopes and ar15 open sights.

shotgun are also the same.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Liked 1556 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I have seen safety glasses worn over regular glasses on construction sites, but not at the range. I suggest you look at Graingers catalog, online under safety equipment.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2041 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

You might consider getting a set of prescription safety glasses. Pretty common in industrial / manufacturing businesses and usually available from local eyeglass vendors. The safety glasses can be equipped with removable side shields so you don't have to wear two layers of glasses and still get side protection.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone have experience with prescription Wiley-X or ESS glasses? I know some of their glasses do the Rx inserts also. Instead of just getting prescriptions for each individual lens, you get a prescription lenses insert you can use with all of the lenses for that particular model.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Do a Google search for "OTS Safety Glasses". Stands for "over the specs". There are bunches of them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.