Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Self Powered Flashlights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default Self Powered Flashlights

I've seen two types; crank and shake.

To be honest the only ones I've found seem like junk (Wal-Mart though). The cranks are plastic and look like they could break easy, the shakes don't seem to generate much light.

Any one recommend them? If so what brand/type.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2008, 05:31 AM   #2

for light output, a gage of comparing is lumen output. More lumens = more light. It might also be measured in candlepower. I don't know any comparisons to judge by right off hand, but the higher the number, the brighter the light.

the WalMart I work at has a Coleman battery-powered LED flashlight range there, plain white and also white/red/blue LED. I've seen some bright LED flashlights before (A friend of mine was building a "lightsaber" using a polycarb tube and an LED, it was very, very intense), and LED's are way more battery-friendly than bulbs.

Unless it's something for a long-term survival situation, ie bomb shelter that likely will sit still for many years, I'd just go with a battery-powered unit and keep spares for the rare just-in-case situation.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Your best off getting a multi-fuel lantern or learning to do without. In the army, we strictly practiced light discipline when in a tactical environ. It takes some conditioning, but once learned, the human eye can see in near zero illum.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #4

yeah you dont need a light most of the time but if you plan to use it incase you are locking yourself in a punker or such I would have a small LED and then a candel lantern or something...... and then learn not to need lights....... other then that I have found the crank ones at walmart to be beter then the shake ones but it is still far from good....