Scales shredding my hands!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Scales shredding my hands!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Scales shredding my hands!

Hi guys, let me tell u my dilemma. I have a s&w m&p 9c. To release the slide after i check the chamber the fish scale or grooves on the slide makes my hands hurt really bad! My hands are pretty small and tactile gloves dnt fit me well (short fingers >_<) i also need grip too. So i was wondering if i can use youth med sz football gloves?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

No real reason why football gloves will not work. Dont buy cheap ones, Ive learned that cheap gloves suck. Try 'em out and tell us how you like them.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Anything that works for you. Just be sure they don't interfere with working the trigger, mag release, etc. You might also want to look at mechanics gloves sold at Lowes or Home Depot. They fit like a tac glove without the extra padding. Provide a good no slip grip.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you ever tried a revolver? The Ruger SP101 isn't just huge, and there will be less wondering if the chamber is loaded.

Double action revolvers are an option that people with small hands or hand strength issues like arthritis should consider.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

You won't know until you try them.. Gloves are good for range time (planned shooting) but tend not to be the best fashion choice for CC .. The slide will loosen up with continued use, your fingers will also harden a bit and their grip strength will improve.

You can always do a "palm grip" on your slide and do a push / pull motion to work the slide. You should find that you have plenty of grip strength to work your slide this way.

Become steel or get cut.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Have you ever tried a revolver? The Ruger SP101 isn't just huge, and there will be less wondering if the chamber is loaded.

Double action revolvers are an option that people with small hands or hand strength issues like arthritis should consider.
Nope, i will like to try one one day!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
You won't know until you try them.. Gloves are good for range time (planned shooting) but tend not to be the best fashion choice for CC .. The slide will loosen up with continued use, your fingers will also harden a bit and their grip strength will improve.

You can always do a "palm grip" on your slide and do a push / pull motion to work the slide. You should find that you have plenty of grip strength to work your slide this way.
Yea i am using my palms but man does it hurt! I guess my hands are still girly soft lol!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
Anything that works for you. Just be sure they don't interfere with working the trigger, mag release, etc. You might also want to look at mechanics gloves sold at Lowes or Home Depot. They fit like a tac glove without the extra padding. Provide a good no slip grip.
Thanks! I'll check em out.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #9

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I recommend practice. Your hands will toughen up a bit, you don't need huge callouses to use the gun. I love these for hand strength: http://www.prohands.net/ Wow, a company that actually advertises their product may help with shooting... Can be used in many ways for grip, even trigger presses.

As far as shooting gloves, I have used these: http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterity-Tactical-FDT-Alpha-Glove-p/pig.700.htm they might work with smaller hands. They work as advertised, lots of dexterity, but they do not last very long.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the PIG FDT-Alpha Gloves are a consumable product that will provide the user with the best tactile dexterity available in a tactical glove, and should be worn to destruction, then discarded and replaced. The selection of super sensitive materials and extremely tight seams mean that these gloves will eventually wear out, and there are no warranties implied. Please try them on and inspect them thoroughly for fit and finish before removing from the hangtag, but be forewarned, you will not want to take them off.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHands View Post
Nope, i will like to try one one day!
I own a larger-framed (big boned) Ruger revolver, the GP-100 in .38/.357. It is one of my favorite plinking/target shooting handguns. It cost me ~$400 new. It has large squishy grips from the factory, for hours of comfy shooting, though I have some smaller better-looking grips for non-high volume shooting.

If you enjoy shooting, you owe it to yourself to rent a revolver just to try it out. You can even wear a cowboy hat if you wish.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Vikingdad Likes This