Sapi plate value?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Sapi plate value?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sapi plate value?

I think this is the right spot for this if not sorry. So I was doin my daily craigslist search and found a guy near me selling a set of sapi's out of his military vest he wore in combat. chest plate, back plate and one for each side, 1 1/2inch thick each. He wants $350obo. To steap, cheap, about right? Ive never looked into anytging like this before so I aint gotta clue about em

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell those but the price is about right. I just retired from the Marines and saw a few over the years go to jail for selling items like that. I would check into it more before you buy.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

The military frowns on theft of government property. Feds also frown on receiving stolen property. Walking away may mean you are free to continue walking. And riding, sleeping in your own bed, and not taking long showers with Bubba and Ali.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah I got out in 2006, and know for a fact that those are supposed to be accounted for. We had inspections where we had to pull the plates out of our vests and account for the serial numbers on them. I also know that damaged ones are supposed to be accounted for too. I caught 2 rounds from an AK with mine, and they even wanted me to dig in the vest to find the SAPI fragments that chipped off when I turned it in for a new one.

The seller, or whoever he snatched them from, will be having about $500 and change with held from their pay for each one, if they haven't already. I don't think they are illegal to own (this ain't legal advice, it's based on limited knowledge and experience) but I am pretty sure that it is illegal to buy stolen ones, and that includes SAPIs that were listed as lost.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

i know a store that was selling them here in ny. but not the sides. just front and back. price here was 100 per plate if i remember correctly. maybe 200.. i would say they are legal to buy and own. just not the govy ones.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
i know a store that was selling them here in ny. but not the sides. just front and back. price here was 100 per plate if i remember correctly. maybe 200.. i would say they are legal to buy and own. just not the govy ones.
They may or may not be the same manufacture, I wouldn't know. And all I know on the price is that a friend had his stolen, and I think it was around 570 or so out of his pay. Later the thief was found (aforementioned accountability inspections), and reparations were made.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #7

Ok ill pass it up then, even tho a set of bullet resistant plates would be a sweet addition to my vest and pack I already got lol. So pretty much this guy was spose to return them upon leaving, never did and got away with it? That aint right.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #8

Yes. Pass. Just to be safe. If you buy them, I would think your chances of getting caught would be slim to none, but you never know, it could also be some kind of sting operation. It would be a cool addition, but they are extremely uncomfortable, you could just cut 5/8" thick steel plates and drop in there and you would get the same feeling as far as heft and inflexibility, and some pretty good protection too (I don't want to know what your up to )

I have no idea if there are any legal considerations on constructing your own body armor though.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #9

10-4 ill have to look into that, lol its nothin illegal believe me

Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #10

Oh I believe you lol. As far as legal stuff though, there are people who build full plate armor suits for medieval fairs and whatnot, and I don't think anyone even thinks twice about them.