Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Sapi plate value? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/sapi-plate-value-48647/)

Sloth88 09-23-2011 02:33 AM

Sapi plate value?

I think this is the right spot for this if not sorry. So I was doin my daily craigslist search and found a guy near me selling a set of sapi's out of his military vest he wore in combat. chest plate, back plate and one for each side, 1 1/2inch thick each. He wants $350obo. To steap, cheap, about right? Ive never looked into anytging like this before so I aint gotta clue about em

silverado113 09-24-2011 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell those but the price is about right. I just retired from the Marines and saw a few over the years go to jail for selling items like that. I would check into it more before you buy.

c3shooter 09-24-2011 08:40 PM

The military frowns on theft of government property. Feds also frown on receiving stolen property. Walking away may mean you are free to continue walking. And riding, sleeping in your own bed, and not taking long showers with Bubba and Ali.

trip286 09-24-2011 10:01 PM

Yeah I got out in 2006, and know for a fact that those are supposed to be accounted for. We had inspections where we had to pull the plates out of our vests and account for the serial numbers on them. I also know that damaged ones are supposed to be accounted for too. I caught 2 rounds from an AK with mine, and they even wanted me to dig in the vest to find the SAPI fragments that chipped off when I turned it in for a new one.

The seller, or whoever he snatched them from, will be having about $500 and change with held from their pay for each one, if they haven't already. I don't think they are illegal to own (this ain't legal advice, it's based on limited knowledge and experience) but I am pretty sure that it is illegal to buy stolen ones, and that includes SAPIs that were listed as lost.

jjfuller1 09-24-2011 10:21 PM

i know a store that was selling them here in ny. but not the sides. just front and back. price here was 100 per plate if i remember correctly. maybe 200.. i would say they are legal to buy and own. just not the govy ones.

trip286 09-25-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 586079)
i know a store that was selling them here in ny. but not the sides. just front and back. price here was 100 per plate if i remember correctly. maybe 200.. i would say they are legal to buy and own. just not the govy ones.

They may or may not be the same manufacture, I wouldn't know. And all I know on the price is that a friend had his stolen, and I think it was around 570 or so out of his pay. Later the thief was found (aforementioned accountability inspections), and reparations were made.

Sloth88 10-01-2011 12:24 AM

Ok ill pass it up then, even tho a set of bullet resistant plates would be a sweet addition to my vest and pack I already got lol. So pretty much this guy was spose to return them upon leaving, never did and got away with it? That aint right.

trip286 10-01-2011 12:52 AM

Yes. Pass. Just to be safe. If you buy them, I would think your chances of getting caught would be slim to none, but you never know, it could also be some kind of sting operation. It would be a cool addition, but they are extremely uncomfortable, you could just cut 5/8" thick steel plates and drop in there and you would get the same feeling as far as heft and inflexibility, and some pretty good protection too (I don't want to know what your up to :) )

I have no idea if there are any legal considerations on constructing your own body armor though.

Sloth88 10-01-2011 01:24 AM

10-4 ill have to look into that, lol its nothin illegal believe me

trip286 10-01-2011 03:41 AM

Oh I believe you lol. As far as legal stuff though, there are people who build full plate armor suits for medieval fairs and whatnot, and I don't think anyone even thinks twice about them.