Safe!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Safe!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default Safe!

I have been ogling fire proof safes for quite a few years. I Bought a 14 gun Sentry safe 15 or more years ago. Just to get me by and give me piece of mind, as i couldnt afford a quality fire safe at the time. Well, i outgrew the old one and with the newest addition coming home in a month or so there simply would NOT be room for it.

This time i went big! It was VERY difficult to part with the amount of coin in did. The way i justified the cost is simple, the .22 that was my grand fathers is worth as much as i paid for the safe, my gramps .35 is worth double or more. Not to mention the rest of the boom sticks. Not only all that but i feel in the long run it will be well worth it. I have room to grow, room to pack all my gear into one place and most importantly the rig is fire and flood proof. I shouldnt ever have to bite this particular bullet again.

After seeing no less than 5 houses, in this neighborhood alone, burn so far this winter, 2 total losses, I will be able rest easy knowing the ONLY unreplacable things i have (heirloom guns, pictures) are well protected.

Cannon 48 gun fire safe

I found this to be the over riding feature in choosing Cannon. Liberty has a comparable safe, but this little feature is more coin. Also, the libertys i looked at were $200 more WITHOUT the outlet feature.
2-110 oulets, usb port and ethernet port.

And a gratuitous shot. There will be some rewarding tonight after all the work of grunting this BEAST into place!

Now all it needs is a door organizer, rope light and de-humidifier.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

That's when moving day is so much fun!! You'll have your nose in there for the next few weeks!! Congrats!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

I couldnt agree with you more I have 3 of my grandfathers antique rifles amongst all my stuff that I have bought and inherited from my father and the $$$ I spend was about 1/10 of what I have in the value of my guns ,it was time to finally break down and buy a safe . I coundnt pass on the deal I got it was normally $799 marked down to $699 and they had a truckload discount sale I ended up getting it for $479+ tax . I will say this a 24 gun will hold realisitically a little more than half of what it says if your loading rifles in it and dont want them to touch each other . You start cramming AR's or things with scopes on them in there and whoa talk about take up some space , I am in the process of making my own door hangers to move some pistols and ARs to to make more safe room . Im not going to have to worry about it going anywhere its bolted to the 6" thick concrete in my garage .
One suggestion when you buy a dehumidifier buy a good one like a golden rod . Dont buy the lockdown model its a POS. I am on my second one and it wont keep my safe any warmer than room temperature which defeats its purpose .

Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
That's when moving day is so much fun!! You'll have your nose in there for the next few weeks!! Congrats!!!
Yeah, I suspect i will have a very difficult time recruiting folks to help us should we ever decide to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I couldnt agree with you more I have 3 of my grandfathers antique rifles amongst all my stuff that I have bought and inherited from my father and the $$$ I spend was about 1/10 of what I have in the value of my guns ,it was time to finally break down and buy a safe . I coundnt pass on the deal I got it was normally $799 marked down to $699 and they had a truckload discount sale I ended up getting it for $479+ tax . I will say this a 24 gun will hold realisitically a little more than half of what it says if your loading rifles in it and dont want them to touch each other . You start cramming AR's or things with scopes on them in there and whoa talk about take up some space , I am in the process of making my own door hangers to move some pistols and ARs to to make more safe room . Im not going to have to worry about it going anywhere its bolted to the 6" thick concrete in my garage .
One suggestion when you buy a dehumidifier buy a good one like a golden rod . Dont buy the lockdown model its a POS. I am on my second one and it wont keep my safe any warmer than room temperature which defeats its purpose .
I was looking at the Liberty and Cannon 24 gun safes. Where i bagged this one they had the Cannon 24 for $600. My eldests room mate has a decent collection, for a 23 y/o, but has no safe. (an ar, a saiga 12 guage, and a glock 30) I offered him my old safe for $400 and he said he would take it. So i figured theres my extra $400 to make up the difference between the 24 and the 48. So i got the 48 and am happy i did.

Thanks for the advice on the dehumid rods. I was looking at the golden rods. But i saw one (the brand escapes me) that is flat in profile and flexible. I might go that direction to save space....dunno yet.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #5

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Yeah, I suspect i will have a very difficult time recruiting folks to help us should we ever decide to move.

I was looking at the Liberty and Cannon 24 gun safes. Where i bagged this one they had the Cannon 24 for $600. My eldests room mate has a decent collection, for a 23 y/o, but has no safe. (an ar, a saiga 12 guage, and a glock 30) I offered him my old safe for $400 and he said he would take it. So i figured theres my extra $400 to make up the difference between the 24 and the 48. So i got the 48 and am happy i did.

Thanks for the advice on the dehumid rods. I was looking at the golden rods. But i saw one (the brand escapes me) that is flat in profile and flexible. I might go that direction to save space....dunno yet.
No, I meant moving your collection from the old place to the new safe, I must have re-arranged mine 100 times...

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #6

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

I wouldnt worry about it being flat as they recommend them horizontal in the bottom of the safe , I mounted mine as close to the bottom / front as possible and you dont even notice its there as the door goes over top of it and nothing will be up against it there anyway .

Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
No, I meant moving your collection from the old place to the new safe, I must have re-arranged mine 100 times...
LOL! OH that, yeah, i have moved things around a few times now. But hell i have so much space compared to the old one i dont know what to do with it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I wouldnt worry about it being flat as they recommend them horizontal in the bottom of the safe , I mounted mine as close to the bottom / front as possible and you dont even notice its there as the door goes over top of it and nothing will be up against it there anyway .
OHHHhhhhh! Good call, never thought about putting it in front under the door. Been too busy bitching about that drop. My old safe had a "false floor" so the guns went in and out without having to worry about bumping them into the door jamb. Now i see a reason for it and can quit bitchin'

Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #8

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

It's beautiful !!

Brought a tear to my jealous eye just looking at it.

Congrats you lucky dog