Recommend me a starter battle belt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Recommend me a starter battle belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Recommend me a starter battle belt

Went browsing for a battle belt today, and was surprised to find that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I've been into firearms for some time and while Im certainly no expert, I thought I'd have SOME idea as to which brands and styles to look for.

I need something basic for now, just to get me through a carbine class or two and maybe some tactical drilling. Nothin too expensive or fancy here (unless all the affordable options are crap; no point in buying something twice).

I'd really appreciate some guidance, sorry for the ignorance.
Have a good one

There's more to people than how they vote and how they pray.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #2

Liked 2374 Times on 1390 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I've been wearing a Tacshield riggers belt for over a year. Not the most rigid belt, but a good belt to get you started. I can't remember what I paid. Bought it at the exchange before heading to Germany last year.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

Here's a link: looks close to $40 from their website, don't think I paid that much.http://tacshield.com/product/13

Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I've been wearing a Tacshield riggers belt for over a year. Not the most rigid belt, but a good belt to get you started. I can't remember what I paid. Bought it at the exchange before heading to Germany last year.
That's definitely something I'll need/look into. However, I was referring to a belt with MOLLE space for mag pouches etc. Sorry for the confusion, I might've just f****** up the terminology.

-Edit: Or would mag pouches be doable on something like this??

Last edited by Sm3lliot; 08-12-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

No such thing as ignorance when your buying something you never owned before. My own experiences are limited since I was in aviation, we flew over the battlefield. I got an uncle mikes duty belt with suspenders for Aux LE duty, but for "ground battle" situations, I have various LBE's & Vests. I don't know your ht., but I can tell you this: figure out by how much gear you will carry on your body, to decide if you just want a belt( like a riggers belt) or L(oad) B(earing) vest. I have two vests( one OD & one Black) with a built in padded & reinforced belt. Decide how many mags for your rifle. Since I do not have an AR in .223/5.56( I have a mini-14 and a 9MM AR ) I need to determine ( and you do too) how many mags, and what other items you will want to carry.

Edit: just saw your resp. Above. You need a belt that hooks to Molle Suspenders or a Molle Vest! Check out Sportsmans Guide's website,..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 08-12-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 508

You can use this thing from Blue Force Gear (BFG) with or without the suspenders:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/soc-c-modular-padded-belt-kit.html

You know what the best part about it is?

It only weighs a couple pounds, even with the mag and dump pouches included (before loading it up, obviously). Attach lightweight BFG Ten-Speed mag pouches, Ten-Speed dump pouch, and IFAK to your belt rig and you're set. The belt rigs keep the weight over your hips and lower to the ground. This is normally, normal defined as actively moving around while carrying a moderate load, better than your chest or back because the pelvic girdle supports loading better than your spine. The suspenders help stabilize the load and support some of the weight, but adjust the rig so that your hips take most of the loading.

Just curious, but is there any reason why a plate carrier or chest rig won't work for you?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

That was my next question. The chest rigs/plate carriers are far superior to standard belt systems. One chest rig with a plate would have saved me a lot of pain now if they were around 30 years ago. I only have one carrier, and I baby it to death,...my wife says I treat my gear better then my dress clothes...
Blue force also sells the Vickers slings. If you don't have one, get one...the only thing I found better is for lighter long guns, a Paracord sling. The one on my 10/22 is a one point,..but I'm going to run Rimfire steel plate matches with it..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 08-12-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

What do you want to do with it ? Is it to help keep your trousers up by going through your belt loops ? Or are you just looking for a accessory belt that you can hang stuff on that goes around your waist but has no trouser duties ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

Ah, I was reading "Starter" as meaning a very basic rig for a pistol class or some run and gun games. A basic riggers belt with a holster and mag pouches is fine on this sort of belt. Maybe even a dump pouch. If you want to get into uber-tactical combat load outs I agree that a load bearing arrangement, or vest is a better option. Molle attachments will still usually fit on a basic belt. You just don't want to over load it.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

I apologize for my response time, free time has not been abundant lately.
It sounds like I should do away with the belt idea and go for a plate carrier. I'm assuming there are boatloads of posts about where I should go from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
What do you want to do with it ? Is it to help keep your trousers up by going through your belt loops ? Or are you just looking for a accessory belt that you can hang stuff on that goes around your waist but has no trouser duties ?
I was originally going for an accessory belt, but now I'm leaning towards getting a plate carrier.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Again, sorry for the long response time.