Range binoculars?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Range binoculars?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default Range binoculars?

I'm guessing that any cheapo pair of generic binos would more than suffice, but I'm just curious if you guys might have some suggestions or recommendations on something under $40 that's very small and lightweight for use at the range, no more than 50ft. of magnification neccesary.

Also curious if any of the ranges any of you might belong to have any requirements on ear and/or eye protection.

Thanks fellas.

__________________
BeyondTheBox is online now  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I'm guessing that any cheapo pair of generic binos would more than suffice, but I'm just curious if you guys might have some suggestions or recommendations on something under $40 that's very small and lightweight for use at the range, no more than 50ft. of magnification neccesary.

Also curious if any of the ranges any of you might belong to have any requirements on ear and/or eye protection.

Thanks fellas.
I have a small pair of bushnell binos that I bought for around $45 at wal-mart, on my way to an OU football game that work great.

Every indoor range I've ever been to requires eyes/ears. Outdoor not so much, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I have a small pair of bushnell binos that I bought for around $45 at wal-mart, on my way to an OU football game that work great.

Every indoor range I've ever been to requires eyes/ears. Outdoor not so much, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to.
I just hate glasses of any sort unless they're my prescription amd very small/lightweight. Ear is a must, but outdoor don't usually have the decible rating that indoor do. I'll try them out first, but my ears are a primary concern. Perhaps I'll find I'll want a pair, but where and when I go shooting there's almost nobody around me so I worry very little.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

I just hate glasses of any sort unless they're my prescription amd very small/lightweight. Ear is a must, but outdoor don't usually have the decible rating that indoor do. I'll try them out first, but my ears are a primary concern. Perhaps I'll find I'll want a pair, but where and when I go shooting there's almost nobody around me so I worry very little.
Most modern Rx glasses I would think sufficient...my local range doesn't require anything more. And I've had pieces of jacket come back and hit me more than once, or I wouldn't wear glasses either probably.

Personal preference...
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

Most modern Rx glasses I would think sufficient...my local range doesn't require anything more. And I've had pieces of jacket come back and hit me more than once, or I wouldn't wear glasses either probably.

Personal preference...
Oh I've had brass catch my arm and fly by my shoulder, but never near enough my face that I'd consider it a hazard. Though it only takes once, and, in any case, due to liability, it is required at the range I just joined so I guess I'll have to break down and get some since I usually wear contacts and having to switch before I go is an inconvenience I will little longer tolerate.

Getting my CC permit next Friday so I can carry from work to the range without worrying about separating my pieces from their ammo during transport. Looking forward to experiencing the indoor shooting life. Only ever done outdoor and informal.

Thanks for the info, perhaps I'll just use my archery binos, though they're a tad bulky for longer distance spotting. Thanks man.
__________________

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.
BeyondTheBox is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Yup. Glad to be of help.

__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Great Binoculars Under $300.00 from Camera Land gr8fuldoug Sponsor Display 0 12-17-2011 04:47 PM
Winners Chosen - Next Drawing is June 1st for Nikon Binoculars gr8fuldoug Sponsor Display 0 04-28-2011 11:15 AM
MINOX Binoculars - BV 10x42 BR Orange Camo NEW gr8fuldoug Sponsor Display 0 03-08-2011 11:50 AM
Range Report - Garland Public Shooting Range dallas-shooting Range Report 1 06-12-2009 04:01 PM
Binoculars black bear 84 Firearm Accessories & Gear 7 03-01-2008 07:24 PM



Newest Threads