Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Range binoculars? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/range-binoculars-54926/)

BeyondTheBox 01-06-2012 11:23 PM

Range binoculars?
 
I'm guessing that any cheapo pair of generic binos would more than suffice, but I'm just curious if you guys might have some suggestions or recommendations on something under $40 that's very small and lightweight for use at the range, no more than 50ft. of magnification neccesary.

Also curious if any of the ranges any of you might belong to have any requirements on ear and/or eye protection.

Thanks fellas.

Chandler51 01-07-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I'm guessing that any cheapo pair of generic binos would more than suffice, but I'm just curious if you guys might have some suggestions or recommendations on something under $40 that's very small and lightweight for use at the range, no more than 50ft. of magnification neccesary.

Also curious if any of the ranges any of you might belong to have any requirements on ear and/or eye protection.

Thanks fellas.

I have a small pair of bushnell binos that I bought for around $45 at wal-mart, on my way to an OU football game that work great.

Every indoor range I've ever been to requires eyes/ears. Outdoor not so much, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to.

BeyondTheBox 01-07-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandler51

I have a small pair of bushnell binos that I bought for around $45 at wal-mart, on my way to an OU football game that work great.

Every indoor range I've ever been to requires eyes/ears. Outdoor not so much, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to.

I just hate glasses of any sort unless they're my prescription amd very small/lightweight. Ear is a must, but outdoor don't usually have the decible rating that indoor do. I'll try them out first, but my ears are a primary concern. Perhaps I'll find I'll want a pair, but where and when I go shooting there's almost nobody around me so I worry very little.

Chandler51 01-07-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

I just hate glasses of any sort unless they're my prescription amd very small/lightweight. Ear is a must, but outdoor don't usually have the decible rating that indoor do. I'll try them out first, but my ears are a primary concern. Perhaps I'll find I'll want a pair, but where and when I go shooting there's almost nobody around me so I worry very little.

Most modern Rx glasses I would think sufficient...my local range doesn't require anything more. And I've had pieces of jacket come back and hit me more than once, or I wouldn't wear glasses either probably.

Personal preference...

BeyondTheBox 01-07-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandler51

Most modern Rx glasses I would think sufficient...my local range doesn't require anything more. And I've had pieces of jacket come back and hit me more than once, or I wouldn't wear glasses either probably.

Personal preference...

Oh I've had brass catch my arm and fly by my shoulder, but never near enough my face that I'd consider it a hazard. Though it only takes once, and, in any case, due to liability, it is required at the range I just joined so I guess I'll have to break down and get some since I usually wear contacts and having to switch before I go is an inconvenience I will little longer tolerate.

Getting my CC permit next Friday so I can carry from work to the range without worrying about separating my pieces from their ammo during transport. Looking forward to experiencing the indoor shooting life. Only ever done outdoor and informal.

Thanks for the info, perhaps I'll just use my archery binos, though they're a tad bulky for longer distance spotting. Thanks man.

Chandler51 01-07-2012 01:18 AM

Yup. Glad to be of help.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.