Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Question about body armor material

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about body armor material

Hello everyone,
I saw an armor that has two pouches, one on the front and one on the back side.
In those pouches is inserted a plate-like, FOAM-like material, 5 millimeters thick aprox.
The foam has a grey color and if you press on it with your finger nail you can deform it a bit.
I was told that it was level 3, and when I explained what a level 3 can do, the owner of the armor was not sure anymore of the efficiency of his gear...
Does this stuff work in your opinion? Is there a foam like material used for armors? Thanks a lot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The foam is almost assuradely NOT ballistic material (will not stop projectiles). It is likely just filler for a MOLLE type carrier. Is there any Kevlar like material in it? It may simply be a carrier for hard plates and have ZERO ballistic rating. Some vests use kevlar type material AND hard plates. Some use just hard plates.

IF it is a true level III vest, it will stop pretty much any handgun round and some rifles. Level III hard plates are rated to stop non-AP rifles. Level IV will stop the AP ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #3

Thanks robocop,
The armor is made of normal fabric plus the pouches, no hard material in it (I'm guessing that Kevlar is a hard material)
This is exactly what I told the guy... that the foam is there to be replaced by hard plates!
I'm not buying...
Regards

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

The ballistic kevlar should be a woven fabric and is soft. The soft panels *should* have labels permanently affixed to them that states the rating i.e. level 1, 2A, 2 3A.

When you get to level 3 and 4 armor, they will be rigid plates made of ceramic, Polyethylene or a ceramic/Polyethylene and are about 1/2" to one inch thick.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-