Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > plate carriers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default plate carriers

So long story short I was at a gun show in sf where there was a guy selling lvl 4 ceramic plates for like 150 or 200 each saying its the beat and all the gov agencies use it yadda yadda yadda and no one uses metal because they would die blah blah blah. So my question is this, on gearhog they are selling a plate carrier lvl 3 for a good price but it has a steel plate. How true is what the guy from the gun show said? Is a steel plate lvl 3 for 150 worth it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The sale on gear hog will be over at midnight so a quick response is appreciated

Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

Thats not a bad deal. The only problem with ceramic is you cannot drop them , once they are broken or cracked they are junk. Steel nothing to worry about like that. They will stop up to .308 and are multi hit capable . They weigh about 1.5-2# more than ceramic . Trust me if I had stuff at the gun show it would be better than anything else out there . Those people can turn turds into diamonds if you listen long enough

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #4

Liked 139 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Lessdragon, not an expert , maybe someone else will respond in time for you, but I would think a steel plate would be inferior to ceramic for two reasons. One, the steel might stop a round but could mushroom out on the backside, leaving a hellofa contusion on your chest. and metal wouldn't absorb the shock of the bullet coming to an abrupt stop like ceramic would. I've never been shot with either, just my thoughts on the two.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #5

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Lessdragon, not an expert , maybe someone else will respond in time for you, but I would think a steel plate would be inferior to ceramic for two reasons. One, the steel might stop a round but could mushroom out on the backside, leaving a hellofa contusion on your chest. and metal wouldn't absorb the shock of the bullet coming to an abrupt stop like ceramic would. I've never been shot with either, just my thoughts on the two.
A good carrier will have a pad between you and the steel to help from blunt force . Most plates are coated to help prevent splaying . Take a look and see what AR500 plate does to 5.56 AP rounds , 7.62x39 and .308 . Ceramic grind a the bullet up upon entry . For shtf steel works just fine unless youhave a pocket full of $ to buy ceramic plates with .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #6

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I would rethink that ceramic plate. They are good and not as fragileas one thinks. Look it up on youtube. It stops a 308 and will take multiple hits. Its a combination of the ceramic along with the I believe gortex linings. Plus it will be alot lighter

Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

I was wondering something similar, you can get a formed front plate and flat back steel ar 500 plates for $139 total. They're covered in that new coating which supposedly stops shrapnel and frag but how effective is the coating compared to ceramic? Anyone have any experience with it?

I also was thinking about buying the steel plates and sewing Kevlar fabric panels over the plates to catch any potential frag from the round once it strikes the plate. Would it be effective or am I wasting my time?

Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I'm a fan of both materials. However, if you get ceramic plates you also need a kevlar panel to prevent shrapnel from pentrating into your own tissue. Steel, you won't need the kevlar. It's advisable, but not required.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring
I'm a fan of both materials. However, if you get ceramic plates you also need a kevlar panel to prevent shrapnel from pentrating into your own tissue. Steel, you won't need the kevlar. It's advisable, but not required.
Really? From what I've read steel were the ones that have a problem with shrapnel not ceramic can you please clarify ?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Well, crap. That's what I get for trying to talk to someone and type at the same time. You are correct and I got mine backwards. Remind me not to type while distracted. Oh look! A shiny object.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.