You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear >

Pistol Box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 34 Posts

I recently joined a Bullseye league and noticed that all the other shooters had boxes to keep all their gear in. I was fine with my bag until I added a spotting scope which didn't fit in the bag along with a tripod. Besides being a pain to lug all the stuff around, the tripod is also a hassle to set up, and takes up too much space in the port. Not being one to spend $200 on a wooden box, I threw this together last night. It was sort of a practice box since I didn't really have the hardware needed. I kind of just slapped this together with what I could find. I built it in one night because I wanted to use it today. I still have to put a finish on it and add some felt to the fingers to hold the guns as well as line the pistol tray.

This one will serve me well until I find the time to make a more suitable one. My neighbor went shooting with me today and called dibs on this box when I make another.

Sorry about the duplicate pics. The app kept crashing when I was trying to load.
forumrunner_20140119_213430.jpg   forumrunner_20140119_213450.jpg   forumrunner_20140119_213511.jpg   forumrunner_20140119_213529.jpg   forumrunner_20140119_213623.jpg  

forumrunner_20140119_214547.jpg  
Jagermeister Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1727 Times on 800 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Very nicely done. I use a shooting box also, but paid dearly for it.
US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt. Also a Tail hooker, US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member. VN vet, Bluenose and Shellback.

Alway keep your six covered

Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 358 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Looks great to me, really like the idea for the spotting scope.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Very nicely done. I use a shooting box also, but paid dearly for it.
Thanks, this one cost me $35 in material and about 5 hours of my time. (Business has been incredibly slow lately so I have more time then money).

Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 359 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You could definately going into business making them. The ones that the guys in my Bullseye group has are all old. I don't think these boxes are being built new anymore. Maybe you should look at taking orders.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
You could definately going into business making them. The ones that the guys in my Bullseye group has are all old. I don't think these boxes are being built new anymore. Maybe you should look at taking orders.
I'll bet most of the guys you shoot Bullseye with are a little old themselves and have had those boxes for a while. This is what I've noticed anyway. I'm probably 15-20 years younger then anyone in my league. Most of the younger guys in my club are more interested in shooting IDPA matches then Bullseye (and this is a "Bullseye Club" that is setup for matches.)

There are still some people out there making them. A plywood model very similar to this one sells for $200 and up. The ones I have seen are either sold unfinished or with a spray coating that looks like truck bed-liner. There are also some metal constructed boxes available for even more.
The next one I make to keep will have a lot more detail. Like finger joints for the pistol tray and maybe a nice inlay on the face of the box along with a high quality finish. I also need to locate the flat magnet patches to hold the spare mags to the inside of the cover so they're all lined up for competition. Probably some better hardware and a hidden hinge setup as well. For now I want to just shoot though. I'll gather the hardware and wood and build the next one when I can take my time.

Last edited by Budasac; 01-21-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #7

Liked 147 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Very nice.

Budasac, if you 'threw that' together, you throw better than I do.

One little detail about gun boxes. You'll note on most of the old 'store bought' boxes, there is a secondary storage on the back for ammo. That storage area uses a different key TO COMPLY with the laws of many states which require guns and ammo to be in separate locked containers while being transported in an automobile.

As you note, the bullseye pistol box trade may or may not be all that 'brisk' these days. Sadly. (Being a Bullseye sort myself.) You might look at formal boxes for IPSC or IDPA or three gun or whatgotcha in your area. Stranger things have happened. And if you're creative and have space to do it, you might offer 'custom' or 'semi-custom' exteriors. Initials, names, family arms, sports team, whatever.

I'd do it, but sawing a 2x4 square without damaging myself is almost possible.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments guys.

@ "OldMan" - I was looking at those compartments on the back. A few members in my league have them but they still don't use them for ammo. I don't think it would constitute two seperate containers as per NJ laws.
I brought the box unfinished to my club to try I out and got a lot of comments. A few people asked if I would be willing to make custom boxes for them. Wouldn't mind a little extra cash (or a gun in trade).

Since I did rush through this one and didn't have all the proper hardware I am going to make myself another and give this to my neighbor. I told him he could have it for the cost of the material. I did finish it for him though. I'll probably use it for a month or so until I have the time to sit down and make a really nice one.
img_20140122_085817_723.jpg   img_20140122_085902_000.jpg   img_20140122_085711_278.jpg  

Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3736 Times on 2289 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Nicely done man.

I am curious about the box idea in general,though. I've never years of it. Is lugging a giant box around instead if a bag (with a shoulder strap) common in competitive circles?

Again, well done. Looks nice.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Nicely done man.

I am curious about the box idea in general,though. I've never years of it. Is lugging a giant box around instead if a bag (with a shoulder strap) common in competitive circles?

Again, well done. Looks nice.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

You can add a strap to the box. But, yes, pistol boxes like this are very common in Standard Pistol (Bullseye) competitions. When you're shooting at 25 and 50 yards a spotting scope is a must. I was tired of carrying a range bag, ammo box, scope, and tripod. This allows for a quick and easy set up. Just set the box down in your port and open it up. Scope is at eye level, all of my guns are ready to go (no pistol rugs), and my tools are within reach. I think I was the only one in my league who didn't have one. Tonight will actually be the first time I use it in competition( if I can get off work early enough to make it there.)

Last edited by Budasac; 01-28-2014 at 06:14 PM.