Old Hoppes No. 9

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Old Hoppes No. 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Old Hoppes No. 9

How does gun solvent work? Does it actually dissolve the copper and lead? If so, is it possible for the solvent to get enough copper in it to saturate it to the point it won't dissolve any more?

I've always just dipped my brush in the jar of Hoppes No. 9 and ran it through the barrel a few times, did the same with a patch (only dipping enough to not completely soak and make a mess), then a dry patch, and repeat as necessary.

However, I cleaned my LCP the other night and the next day I noticed a copper color kind of blotted on the end around the muzzle. I cleaned it again and sure enough a day or two later there's more copper color around the muzzle.

The first time I thought maybe it was a little vaporized copper/brass from firing the LCP, but I didn't fire it after the second cleaning. I thought maybe the muzzle was rubbing on my keys through the hole at the end of the holster when it's in my pocket, but it really doesn't look like that. Looks more like someone took a sponge and kind of stamped the color on the gun.

So, the only thing I can think of is if there was so much copper discoed in the Hoppes that it was leaving residual copper deposits when it dried. But this still doesn't make any sense to me, because I thoroughly remove the solvent from the gun before oiling it, then I wipe it down well after oiling.

What do you guys think. I can try to post a pic later, but I'm working right now, and probably shouldn't have even taken the time to post this.

Thanks,
Me

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 05-03-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

you have to remove the solvent with something else. i use a patch with clp to swab the bore cleaning out the hoppes. repeat a few times then run dry patches to remove the clp. if you dont residual solvent will etch your barrel. dry patches arent good enough to remove solvents.

there isnt enough copper in a bore to saturate the hoppes bottle less you drop an entire ingot in there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-03-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you Jon, I didn't know that about the solvent. What about something like Bore Bright, that says it dissolves copper/lead and prevents rust. Would that need something like CLP to remove it also?

As far as my LCP, I feel like a fool now. I looked at it again in better light, and indeed it was my keys scratching the end of the barrel. Apparently when the scratch only just barely goes through the finish it looks kind of copper-ish, but now that the scratches have thoroughly destroyed the finish in that spot, it's obvious what it was.

Why do all the holster have the muzzle end left open like that anyway?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Never mind, I just looked up CLP and it's basicly the same thing as Bore Brite.

What's the difference between them and Hoppes 9, if they don't harm the barrel if left on, like Hoppes would, how do they remove the lead/copper?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Things like clp dont remove copper as they arent acid based. Solvents use a slight to aggressive acidity to remove copper. Harshest being sweets 7.62 mildest hoppes #9. Clp just removes carbon buildup by dissolving it and displacing it in the pores of the steel and aluminum parts. The bore brush is what removes lead along with solvent.

Clp is kinda like an oil prervative but its pretty light and should not be mistaken for a lubricant for shooting purposes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I use hoppes#9 clp hoppes#9 benchrest copper solvent for cleaning and mobil1 synthetic for lube

Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7147 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Hello, yeah, it's me again.......

What is clp?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

What is clp?
Break-Free CLP. Cleans Lubricates & Protects. Been using it for a few years now, about the same consistency as Rem-Oil.

Break-Free®

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7147 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Break-Free CLP. Cleans Lubricates & Protects. Been using it for a few years now, about the same consistency as Rem-Oil.

Break-Free®
Thank you.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

What is clp?
it won the us army contract a while back as the us military do it all gun product. its issued to troops in the field as well as garrison for general cleaning and preservation. its got more viscosity than rem oil and actually dissolves carbon over time as it soaks into the metal and displaces carbon buildup once you start using it it will continue to work on carbon deposits.

it is common to clean a gun till its spotless with clp put it away come back a weak later and its dirty as hell from all the carbon it has displaced. just a quick wipe down and reapplication on a regular basis is key to proper clp use.

remoil is pretty much sewing machine oil in the same line as 3in1 oil it is not a good firearm protectant or lubricant as it is far too light.

my personal opinion on remoil is i rank it right down there with wd40 as a product that shouldnt be in the same room as your guns.

i treat clp as a cleaning agent for removing carbon and solvent for which it does a very fine job. i also use it as a bore protectant for storage but there are much better metal protectors than clp. if i lived in a more humid environment i wouldnt use it for protecting the guns i own.