Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Nylon vs. Bronze Bore Brushes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/nylon-vs-bronze-bore-brushes-20431/)

BigByrd47119 11-25-2009 04:26 AM

Nylon vs. Bronze Bore Brushes

To put it simple, which one and, more importatly, why? I curently use bronze but...

Im of the opinion I dont want to use bronze brushes as they will decay after enough use with the copper solvent. On the other hand, Im interested in knowing if people have found the nylon brushes to be effective. Thanks in advance for any responce.

kenhesr 11-25-2009 05:32 PM

YEP! your opinion concurs with what I've seen. I tend to not clean for copper fouling as often as I should, usually twice a year or 500 rds, whichever comes first, or when I pick-up a used weapon, so I use a lot of bronze brushes for just plain old cleaning.

When I do go after the copper in a bore, I use Hoppe's #9 Copper Solvent. That stuff will eat-up a bronze brush VERY quickly, (ask me how I know!:))

Best way I've found, (this is just what works for me) is to soak a SYNTHETIC patch with copper solvent, saturate the bore, wait about 5 minutes then scrub the bore around 5 times with a nylon brush soaked in copper solvent. Then I run another wet patch thru and repeat the above till the copper solvent patches come out clean.

After I get clean patches, I use bore cleaner & oil to finish-up. Do I absolutely need the nylon brush, no. Do I recommend them, absolutely! The nylon brush seems to loosen the copper fouling a whole lot quicker. I also have a few of the Tornado spiral stainless brushes, I really don't like to use them except for smooth bore shotgun bbls.:mad:

The short answer would be; I like the nylon brushes for my copper fouling cleaning method, otherwise I stay with bronze for normal cleaning. Good Luck, Ken

BigByrd47119 11-26-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenhesr (Post 190625)
YEP! your opinion concurs with what I've seen. I tend to not clean for copper fouling as often as I should, usually twice a year or 500 rds, whichever comes first, or when I pick-up a used weapon, so I use a lot of bronze brushes for just plain old cleaning.

When I do go after the copper in a bore, I use Hoppe's #9 Copper Solvent. That stuff will eat-up a bronze brush VERY quickly, (ask me how I know!:))

Best way I've found, (this is just what works for me) is to soak a SYNTHETIC patch with copper solvent, saturate the bore, wait about 5 minutes then scrub the bore around 5 times with a nylon brush soaked in copper solvent. Then I run another wet patch thru and repeat the above till the copper solvent patches come out clean.

After I get clean patches, I use bore cleaner & oil to finish-up. Do I absolutely need the nylon brush, no. Do I recommend them, absolutely! The nylon brush seems to loosen the copper fouling a whole lot quicker. I also have a few of the Tornado spiral stainless brushes, I really don't like to use them except for smooth bore shotgun bbls.:mad:

The short answer would be; I like the nylon brushes for my copper fouling cleaning method, otherwise I stay with bronze for normal cleaning. Good Luck, Ken

Excelent! Thank you very much for the reply. Im glad to hear that the nylon is effective, as this was honestly my most serious concern.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

1hole 12-04-2009 02:16 PM

"I dont want to use bronze brushes as they will decay after enough use with the copper solvent."

That's clearly true, so use copper solvents with nylon brushes.

Bronse brushes are best used with carbon cleaners.

Two problems, two solutions.

dmickey 12-13-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenhesr (Post 190625)

What are you using for synthetic patches? There used to be one made from a Dupont material called Remay, but they haven't been made in years! Dupont since has sold the rights to Remay to another company. :(

kenhesr 12-13-2009 10:11 PM

Hi mic, I use Outers or Hoppe's brand, both are pretty much equal in quality. I get most of my cleaning stuff from Midway USA, when they have a good sale I stock up. The synthetic patches seem to scrub better, rougher texture. I still use cotton for applying oil though. Ken

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...patches002.jpg

BigByrd47119 12-13-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmickey (Post 199028)
What are you using for synthetic patches? There used to be one made from a Dupont material called Remay, but they haven't been made in years! Dupont since has sold the rights to Remay to another company. :(

I tend to use cotton type patches. I agree that the synthetic patches do feel like they would scrub better when I hold them in my hand, but I feel they are horrable when used on jags as they tend to rip. I also feel they dont hold solvents as they should, or as well as Cotton type patches do.

Im not particular to one brand or another.

cpttango30 12-14-2009 12:15 AM

It depends on what I am cleaning. My rimfires don't get a brush in them at all. My 308 with a 30" Douglas Match grade SS barrel doesn't get brushes either.

For everything else I use bronze with Hoppes #9 or Hoppes copper solvent If you flush them with some gun scrubber after using them they last longer.