Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Newb who needs help with accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Newb who needs help with accessories

I've inherited a Remington 700, along with a few other guns. As I look around, there are so many choices for accessories, specifically gun cases and scopes. I'm not sure where to start.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• A good hunting scope for the Remington 700 (nothing fancy and expensive since I'm relatively new)
  • A few hard cases that can be locked and can possibly fit more than one gun (don't want a gun safe or cabinet...yet)

First, where is a good place to learn about the differences in scopes and gun cases?

Second, what are the recommendations of the folks here? What scopes do y'all use? What gun cases do y'all have?

Any help is appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8053

Here's a whole bunch of good info on scopes.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/

As for a rifle case, I just bought what caught my fancy. Mine is a soft case with a handle and a shoulder strap. It might not be for you, though.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Here's a whole bunch of good info on scopes.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/

As for a rifle case, I just bought what caught my fancy. Mine is a soft case with a handle and a shoulder strap. It might not be for you, though.

Thanks for the scope link.

While that case is very pretty, it's not really my style.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I've inherited a Remington 700, along with a few other guns. As I look around, there are so many choices for accessories, specifically gun cases and scopes. I'm not sure where to start.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • A good hunting scope for the Remington 700 (nothing fancy and expensive since I'm relatively new)
  • A few hard cases that can be locked and can possibly fit more than one gun (don't want a gun safe or cabinet...yet)

First, where is a good place to learn about the differences in scopes and gun cases?

Second, what are the recommendations of the folks here? What scopes do y'all use? What gun cases do y'all have?

Any help is appreciated!
Scopes are a get what you pay for thing so keep that in mind . I have had good luck with Leupolds and Nikons . but I dont play in the $1000 + scope market either . I think most of mine have run in that $150-$400+ range . 'If you find something you like that tickles your fancy come back here and post it people will either tell you its good or its junk . Were pretty honest . Stay away from NCStar . I promise you it will be junk before you even have to ask

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Scopes are a get what you pay for thing so keep that in mind . I have had good luck with Leupolds and Nikons . but I dont play in the $1000 + scope market either . I think most of mine have run in that $150-$400+ range . 'If you find something you like that tickles your fancy come back here and post it people will either tell you its good or its junk . Were pretty honest . Stay away from NCStar . I promise you it will be junk before you even have to ask
You get what you pay for isn't always true. I have seen NC star scopes priced over $300. I agree with you on the quality of a NC star scopes. You can look at the POS rings packed with a NC star scope and become leary.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

So far I have been fairly happy with the Cabelas house brand scope on my .22. They make all kinds of decently priced scopes and from my experience I wouldn't hesitate if a wallet friendly scope is what youre looking for. I use a Bushnell Sportview on my deer rifle and 12 years running it is spot on...

Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8407 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Regarding a gun case- either soft sided or hard sided- I would not STORE a gun in one for an extended period of time. They DO attract moisture, gun WILL rust. They are really intended to be used to transport a firearm.

Another accessory you have not mentioned- cleaning gear. Get something with a decent rod, brushes, lube, powder solvent.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Regarding a gun case- either soft sided or hard sided- I would not STORE a gun in one for an extended period of time. They DO attract moisture, gun WILL rust. They are really intended to be used to transport a firearm.

Another accessory you have not mentioned- cleaning gear. Get something with a decent rod, brushes, lube, powder solvent.
The cleaning kit was the first thing I bought. The guns hadn't been cleaned in some time when I got them, so that was first on the list.

Outside of a gun safe or cabinet (which I don't have the $ or the space for currently) what are some viable methods of storage if not in a gun case?