Need suggestions for a quality headlamp.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Need suggestions for a quality headlamp.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 746 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Default Need suggestions for a quality headlamp.

Working around the homestead, there are times me and Wifey have to venture out at night to tend to animals, chase off varmints, etc., etc. We have headlamps that have a decent white light, but the red light sucks. Red is important, because that light doesn't disturb the poultry as much, and also reflects eyes better. So we're needing to find a lamp that has a good range of white brightness, doesn't eat batteries like teenagers eat M&Ms, and has a GOOD red light that you can actually see by.

Oh, and for a reasonable price.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Working around the homestead, there are times me and Wifey have to venture out at night to tend to animals, chase off varmints, etc., etc. We have headlamps that have a decent white light, but the red light sucks. Red is important, because that light doesn't disturb the poultry as much, and also reflects eyes better. So we're needing to find a lamp that has a good range of white brightness, doesn't eat batteries like teenagers eat M&Ms, and has a GOOD red light that you can actually see by.

Oh, and for a reasonable price.
check out the Streamlight brand of lights. i have been using various Streamlight flashlights for several years now and highly recommend them. top quality products. not cheap, but not over the top in price either IMO.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us

Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 746 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Thanks for the link. I looked at their lights, but didn't see a headlamp with red light option. That's the biggest need we have. When we're catching birds in the pens at night, hands-free is essential, and white lights wake them up and make the task more difficult.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1890 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 706

I use the Energizer headlights they sell at Lowes. I also keep a high intensity light in my pocket in case I need a spotlight or a bright light up close. You can get colored lens caps for the high intensity lights. The Energizer headlamp will do for catching fowl in a pen. If the birds are out you will need the high intensity light to find the roost.

I have had a light like this for three years now. It has run for hundreds of hours with nothing more than a fresh battery. You can see the seller has an excellent reputation. 99% satisfied customers with over 325,000 sales. Not many vendors can boast such a reputation.

Most of the high intensity lights have a 1" battery tube so they can be mounted on a shotgun. I don't use lights with a rechargable battery on my guns. The batteries don't get run down often enough so they fail. I get a light with CR123 batteries to mount on a gun. I only use the light mounted on the gun to shoot. It only stays on for a minute or two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000LM-UltraFire-502B-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Tactical-Flashlight-18650-Battery-Charger-/310923993059?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4864839fe3

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-18-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
hmh

Liked 149 Times on 103 Posts

Black diamond storm I use a headlamp at work. Water proof and a big plus a lock out.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Look At the Bushnell headlight at Walmart i have one of the cap lights that's fairly bright at 65 lumen with red led for about 12 dollars and a 220 lumen headlamp for 20 with red led

Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7404 Times on 4451 Posts
Likes Given: 9165

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I use the Energizer headlights they sell at Lowes.
I just bought one that is 100 lumens. And right now they have a $5 rebate.

Buckhuntr, here are some options on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=headlamp+with+red+light&tag=goog hydr-20&index=sporting&hvadid=13444640010&hvpos=1t1&hve xid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14455898546294572059&hvpone=& hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2etdgiumpo_b