Need a New BackPack
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Need a New BackPack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Need a New BackPack

Okay, so here's the deal. I own five backpacks, all for various needs and applications. I got three for bug out types, I got a heavy gear bag for storm duty ( Tactical Tailor ) and I bought a Victorinox for Urban Travel.

The Victorinox has turned out to be a piece of crap after a year of use.

What I am looking for is a single shoulder style, urban travel pack that will allow me to carry a few pounds of basic gear ( like my 1911 when needed ) and a few daily essentials like powerbars, my Zune/Headphones, a soda or two and my keys.

I don't want any type of aluminum frame, I don't want any multiple day pack that will allow me to pack enough gear for a bug out scenario and I sure as hell don't want any Messenger Bag like the types that have become popular thanks to the infamous Jack Bauer.

So - knowing that. Do any of you have any real suggestions for a reliable, well built, durable, preferably with heavy duty YKK zippers, backpack for the urban environment?

Thanks in advance -

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #2

I have a Jansport Bio-Diesel that I really like - http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___70643
It has worked well for me for the last year now I don't like the colors that campmore is offering right now but the pack is a good one!

Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy. - Rudy Giuliani

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is VIOLENCE.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the recommendation Fin - I will check that one out...

Old 11-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=11

Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here are some that might be worth looking at:

http://www.rei.com/product/770396
http://www.rei.com/product/748225
http://www.rei.com/product/763917

If those don't do it for you, here are plenty of others:

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500001_Backpacks%2C+Child+Carriers+and +Duffels&cat=4500509&page_size=50&hist=cat%2C45000 01_Backpacks%2C+Child+Carriers+and+Duffels%3ABackp acks%2C+Child+Carriers+and+Duffels^cat%2C4500509%3 ADaypacks

If you're not a fan of REI, check Campmor:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___76421__242

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #6

Thanks guys - I had hit several of those sites already - I was kind of looking for the magic bullet "I have THIS model and it's the best damn backpack out there". LOL

Thanks for all the links. I will funnel through them tonight and this weekend before making a decision.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thanks guys - I had hit several of those sites already - I was kind of looking for the magic bullet "I have THIS model and it's the best damn backpack out there". LOL

Thanks for all the links. I will funnel through them tonight and this weekend before making a decision.
I've got a large North Face that I've used for backpacking for years. It literally has carried close to a hundred pounds of stuff over thousands of miles. Every trip that it has been on, it has been stuffed to capacity. It's over 15 years old and hasn't needed a single repair. It has never busted a seam, strap or buckle. I'd buy another North Face pack without hesitation.

I've seen many other brands fail, often times in mid trip.

That's the best I can do for you.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have a big ass Jansport, that has carried 2 laptops(Macbook Pro 15", and a 15" HP laptop) 8 books, 3 1" 3ring binders, cords two mice and a 102oz camel back bladder, cell phone, 2 1L Mt. Dew bottles, and plenty of pens and pencials for a good sized college calss. I have had one problem but that was me who kept pulling on a cord and I pulled it right out of the shoulder strap. I forget the name.

this one at REI is close to what mine looks like.

Also look into 5.11 tactical there stuff is built ARMY tough. Plus I think if you spend over $75 you get a free knife and it is a nice knife.

Last edited by cpttango30; 11-06-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Go to a pro camera store or online at bhphoto.com and check out some of the photo packs. They are designed to haul heavy gear and are very durable. Look at Tenba, Lowepro, and some others...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am going to brave the trip into Seattle to the Super REI ( their flagship store ) this weekend and try out most of the ones mentioned and see what I can find. There are a couple on the list that I hadn't researched yet, so I do appreciate the input.

I'll post the one I end up getting in case anyone else is looking for the same solution down the line....