Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > need holster, ? on serpa blackhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need holster, ? on serpa blackhawk

hello, today i went and tried on a blackhawk cqc serpa for a glock 22. i really liked it, although i do not need the paddle due to the fact that i am a big guy and need a belt at all times. they wanted 50 bucks for it. there was a few others there for twenty five and thirty with no paddle. great, but they were all right hand, i am left handed. i looked at fobus but they were all right handed. i want a holster that has the same feel and release. any advice?

thanks, joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbertjm
hello, today i went and tried on a blackhawk cqc serpa for a glock 22. i really liked it, although i do not need the paddle due to the fact that i am a big guy and need a belt at all times. they wanted 50 bucks for it. there was a few others there for twenty five and thirty with no paddle. great, but they were all right hand, i am left handed. i looked at fobus but they were all right handed. i want a holster that has the same feel and release. any advice?

thanks, joe
Is this holster for the range or ccw? If its for ccw I would not recommend the serpa solely on the button. That's just yet another step you have to do if you have to draw on someone. The fobus isn't a bad choice as they do make a left handed paddle holster for the glock. My brother has one for his 23 but I will tell you this, the retention on the fobus is a lot (at least my brothers) you really have to rip the glock outta the holster to draw. You can order direct from fobus or other websites to get the left handed model. I use the crossbreed holster when I carry my glock 17. Very comfortable and I'm a bigger guy. If its for the range the serpa isn't a bad choice. I personally use the glock branded holster for the range which works quite nicely. Hope that helps. Pm me if you have any other questions.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 09-30-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I use a black hawk serpa for my 1911. I am left handed. I use that holster for ccw as well as competition. When I draw I dont even notice that I have pushed the button. I know that I must have because you definately can't draw without pushing it. Whatever you get, just practice. Practice, practice, practice. You will end up doing it without even knowing it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I use a black hawk serpa for my 1911. I am left handed. I use that holster for ccw as well as competition. When I draw I dont even notice that I have pushed the button. I know that I must have because you definately can't draw without pushing it. Whatever you get, just practice. Practice, practice, practice. You will end up doing it without even knowing it.
Good advice for sure Rick, you must have practiced your butt off to get used to the serpa. I had one and ended up selling it, I just couldn't get used to it. You're a better man than I!. Just goes to show you what works for one might not work for another. Have you timed your draw ever comparing the serpa against a different holster before?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #5

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I have never really timed it. But I use a lot of home made holsters that are form fitted to my guns. I only have two commercial holsters that I use. The Serpa and a Leather Bianchi with the button that is activated by the middle finger. I dont have to think about that one either. Maybe it's just me. But I have practiced a lot with both of those holsters. The Serpa only works with my 1911. But the Bianchi actually fits 4 different guns that I know of. It fits the Glock 26, the Taurus Millinium Pro, the Ruger P95, and the S&W Sigma.

Buy the way if you are going to practice drawing, do it with an unloaded gun. I am not kidding. I know it soulds like common sense. But people have shot themselves by mistake.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have never really timed it. But I use a lot of home made holsters that are form fitted to my guns. I only have two commercial holsters that I use. The Serpa and a Leather Bianchi with the button that is activated by the middle finger. I dont have to think about that one either. Maybe it's just me. But I have practiced a lot with both of those holsters. The Serpa only works with my 1911. But the Bianchi actually fits 4 different guns that I know of. It fits the Glock 26, the Taurus Millinium Pro, the Ruger P95, and the S&W Sigma.

Buy the way if you are going to practice drawing, do it with an unloaded gun. I am not kidding. I know it soulds like common sense. But people have shot themselves by mistake.
When I practice my draw its with snap caps

~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #7

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I also have a Blackhawk CQC holster for my Glock 22, I use it for owb with the paddle even though I also need a belt. I think that they make one for the south paw's also, I know that the Thesis can be found in a left hand draw. I love the CQC for work because as an automotive tech, sometimes I need to remove my weapon to work under the dash of a car, I also carry the same weapon in a Thesis/Crossbreed type of IWB holster and rarely have to remove it for anything. The retention of both holsters is excellent as is the draw once I practiced enough to be confident enough to not put a hole in something I might need one day. I have several other holsters and weapons that I carry, but the Glock is my work horse due to the environment I work in, I would be upset if my Kimber got transmission fluid on it LOL.

Keep the bugger picker off the bang switch-Crane

Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I have a blackhawk serpa holster for alot of my handguns. I love them. I use them on duty and off duty at the range. I agree they arnt good for concealment though.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #9

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I forgot to post my pictures.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

forumrunner_20111015_190030.jpg   20111005_010533-1.jpg   forumrunner_20111015_190131.jpg  

Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I use a blackhawk serpa with my 1911a1 and i love it. I payed 30 bucks for it at bass pro shop. I had used a couple uncle mikes holsters and a fobus paddle but the blackhawk takes the cake. I fits very well, stays put, and is adjustable. It is very easy to put on and take off and even hangs perfectly from the map pocket on the door of my dodge pickup when im not carrying it. I love the retention button as well

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380