Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Need a gun safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a gun safe

Hey everyone, I would like to get a gun safe. I only have my m&p, but want an ar 15 soon. I need something kinda cheap. Yes, I know, something as valuable as a firearm needs a perfect safe, but as a college student I can't afford a glamorous safe, and something is better than nothing. I would prefer something that bolts to the floor. $150 is the most I want to spend just for a safe to hold my handgun. I won't be getting the AR for a while so the small safe will serve me well. Maybe just a dead bolt for my closet? What would you suggest?

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As close as I can get 14 - Gun Stack - On Gun Cabinet With Bonus Steel Pistol Box, Shooting Supplies, Stack-On, Stackon Stack On 14 Gun Cabinet Safe Locker Pistol Box Steel Vault at Sportsman's Guide

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Here you go a 8 gun steel cabinet for $128 from wal-mart.

Walmart.com: Stack-On 8-Gun Security Cabinet: Hunting

It is not the best thing in the world but if you hide it behind cloths in a closet it will keep them out of sight and out of mind.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage0113 View Post
Hey everyone, I would like to get a gun safe. I only have my m&p, but want an ar 15 soon. I need something kinda cheap. Yes, I know, something as valuable as a firearm needs a perfect safe, but as a college student I can't afford a glamorous safe, and something is better than nothing. I would prefer something that bolts to the floor. $150 is the most I want to spend just for a safe to hold my handgun. I won't be getting the AR for a while so the small safe will serve me well. Maybe just a dead bolt for my closet? What would you suggest?
American Security makes some nice safes, but they run about $900

Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusselin View Post
American Security makes some nice safes, but they run about $900
Not being an azz or anything but what part of
Quote:
$150 is the most I want to spend just for a safe to hold my handgun.
did you not understand?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Not being an azz or anything but what part of did you not understand?
I must have misunderstood the OP i thought he was talking about keeping an AR15 in this safe as well, in that case i have a hand gun safe here at my shop that i can ship to you for $150 and it bolts to the floor of either your vehicle or under your bed, what ever you would like, if you want i can PM you some pictures

Last edited by Jusselin; 12-02-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Sportsman's Warehouse locally had the Stack-On metal gun cabinet for $90.00, IIRC it was good through the 3rd of Dec. Same thing on the Stack-On gun safe, they had a fairly inexpensive 8 or 9 gun safe for $250.00
Im looking for a safe as well, We have a few companies locally that made them.
Good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #8

My son just bought another stack-on at Dicks. It's a 10 gun, I believe, and it bolts to the wall. He stores his ammo and mil surplus rifles in it.Cost was about $144

Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 100 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage0113 View Post
I don't know if you would be interested in something like this but...

I found this 'drop box' at a local locksmith shop for $50.00.
It is made of HEAVY gauge steel and employs a 'safe deposit' locking system that requires 2 different keys to open, and has a 'relocker' built into it as well. Not visible in the pictures here, but there is also a heavy steel plate welded inside the box below the 'drop slot' at the top of the box. The plate is angled downward and 'toothed' at the rear to prevent fishing (inserting a wire in the slot, to try to hook the contents inside) and only leaves enough space for paper to drop through the slot.

It could easily be bolted to the floor or wall studs if you desire. I got this one to use as a vehicle safe. For what it's worth...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #10

Quick update. I am going to have between $500-600 to spend on a safe. Recomendations?

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V