Need good hand held radios, suggestions? (12 miles)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Need good hand held radios, suggestions? (12 miles)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need good hand held radios, suggestions? (12 miles)

I've been hired to work security detail on a local farmers property and we need a decent radio so we have a good strong communication within the two properties that the farmer owns.

The properties are about 12 miles apart with few scattered houses and fields in between. We had purchased supposed 35-mile range motorola radios but they did not work at all. After inspection of the box, it says the 35-mile range is only obtainable when one radio is on a mountain and the other is in a valley or something.

Any suggestions on what we should do? We have cellphones, but we would like to use them as a secondary form of communication.

Much obliged

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

12 miles would be pretty hard to hit without a repeater. We have a hard time hitting back to dispatch at 4 miles, but it's an antenna height issue and it's on a repeater. Have you thought about a ham set up or something like that?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #3

Liked 702 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I've been hired to work security detail on a local farmers property and we need a decent radio so we have a good strong communication within the two properties that the farmer owns.

The properties are about 12 miles apart with few scattered houses and fields in between. We had purchased supposed 35-mile range motorola radios but they did not work at all. After inspection of the box, it says the 35-mile range is only obtainable when one radio is on a mountain and the other is in a valley or something.

Any suggestions on what we should do? We have cellphones, but we would like to use them as a secondary form of communication.

Much obliged
There is one cellphone company that has a cellphone that can be used as a walky-talky. Not sure who it is but I was with a friend in the store while he chated with his father in law on what beer to get from inside a Walmart about 25 miles away.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

You are dealing with line-of-sight issues. At that range, one of you is over the horizon from the other. Go for the cell phone.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

push to talk boost mobile...just about the best deal going (35dollars) a month!

im wondering,is nextel even available anymore?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

Liked 1352 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
push to talk boost mobile...just about the best deal going (35dollars) a month!

im wondering,is nextel even available anymore?
These phones and connections are, many times, mandatory for supervisors on large construction sites. Of course you are still depending on the cell towers, but the range is unlimited.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Smoke signals. But I'm old school like that. And sometimes a little sarcastic, sorry.

Would a cb reach that far? We used Marine radios on the pipeline, but I don't know if that's perfectly legal. I was told it wasn't.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

If your not on a waterway I believe you could run into trouble.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #9

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Lol, that's what I thought, but I was a lowly laborer/crew truck driver, I thought it was a cb! Stayed out of trouble while working for that company, so I'll let them deal with it now.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #10

If you have android phones or I phones there is a free app called Tikl that you can download that will make your phones work just like walkie talkies