Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Need good hand held radios, suggestions? (12 miles) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/need-good-hand-held-radios-suggestions-12-miles-54663/)

indyfan 01-03-2012 03:20 AM

Need good hand held radios, suggestions? (12 miles)

I've been hired to work security detail on a local farmers property and we need a decent radio so we have a good strong communication within the two properties that the farmer owns.

The properties are about 12 miles apart with few scattered houses and fields in between. We had purchased supposed 35-mile range motorola radios but they did not work at all. After inspection of the box, it says the 35-mile range is only obtainable when one radio is on a mountain and the other is in a valley or something.

Any suggestions on what we should do? We have cellphones, but we would like to use them as a secondary form of communication.

Much obliged :)

firedawg60 01-03-2012 03:27 AM

12 miles would be pretty hard to hit without a repeater. We have a hard time hitting back to dispatch at 4 miles, but it's an antenna height issue and it's on a repeater. Have you thought about a ham set up or something like that?

CourtJester 01-03-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 665976)
I've been hired to work security detail on a local farmers property and we need a decent radio so we have a good strong communication within the two properties that the farmer owns.

The properties are about 12 miles apart with few scattered houses and fields in between. We had purchased supposed 35-mile range motorola radios but they did not work at all. After inspection of the box, it says the 35-mile range is only obtainable when one radio is on a mountain and the other is in a valley or something.

Any suggestions on what we should do? We have cellphones, but we would like to use them as a secondary form of communication.

Much obliged :)

There is one cellphone company that has a cellphone that can be used as a walky-talky. Not sure who it is but I was with a friend in the store while he chated with his father in law on what beer to get from inside a Walmart about 25 miles away.

c3shooter 01-03-2012 04:05 AM

You are dealing with line-of-sight issues. At that range, one of you is over the horizon from the other. Go for the cell phone.

m72law 01-03-2012 10:43 PM

push to talk boost mobile...just about the best deal going (35dollars) a month!;)

im wondering,is nextel even available anymore?

Chainfire 01-03-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 666669)
push to talk boost mobile...just about the best deal going (35dollars) a month!;)

im wondering,is nextel even available anymore?

These phones and connections are, many times, mandatory for supervisors on large construction sites. Of course you are still depending on the cell towers, but the range is unlimited.

trip286 01-03-2012 11:53 PM

Smoke signals. But I'm old school like that. And sometimes a little sarcastic, sorry. :)

Would a cb reach that far? We used Marine radios on the pipeline, but I don't know if that's perfectly legal. I was told it wasn't.

downsouth 01-04-2012 01:14 AM

If your not on a waterway I believe you could run into trouble.

trip286 01-04-2012 01:50 AM

Lol, that's what I thought, but I was a lowly laborer/crew truck driver, I thought it was a cb! Stayed out of trouble while working for that company, so I'll let them deal with it now.

Logand4c 01-07-2012 10:51 PM

If you have android phones or I phones there is a free app called Tikl that you can download that will make your phones work just like walkie talkies