Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > NC Starr Optics good? or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NC Starr Optics good? or not

Seeing the BSA thread, how good are the NC Star scopes, and some of the other Wal-Mart scopes? I have heard that Simmons is decent for optics in my spare money range, has anyone mounted a Simmons on say a 300 WinMag, and what model was it? I also have been watching ebay for a while and have determined that a Lyman All weather Alaskan scope is a gold mine if found for less than 150 dollars, and that Weaver and Redfield scopes beat up and dinged are worth at least 75 dollars in rough shape and a AO K12 60B Weaver is worth at least 150 dollars depending on bidders watching, looks and overall appearence and resemblence to new does not seem to be a factor here as long as it functions. Have determined this by my Ebay item watch list. I have very limited funds and was wondering if a new cheaper scope is as good as an older Weaver or Redfield or Lyman. I have a Tasco that i finally found out that if i dry fire the gun it makes the cross hairs move, NAUGHTY NAUGHTY! Will use the Tasco for a scope shooting experiment when i get a better scope. Any help here would be appreciated. THANK YOU in advance

<striving to enter at the narrow gate>

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Seeing the BSA thread, how good are the NC Star scopes, and some of the other Wal-Mart scopes? I have heard that Simmons is decent for optics in my spare money range, has anyone mounted a Simmons on say a 300 WinMag, and what model was it?"

I have no experience with BSA nor NcStar but a good friend put a Simmons Atec on his new .17HMR three years back. Optics were clear but the field had significant barrel distortion. He first shot ragged 1/2" holes in a 50 yard target, was happy (so was I) and he sort of laffed at my collection of more expensive scopes. Last year the chuckles stopped, his groups opened up to maybe 2" and the zero shifted. He got frantic about cleaning the bore and trying different ammo, with no results until he put a different scope on it and things went back to normal.

I once had an inexpensive 3-9x that had excellant optics. My groups with it were great from my 22-250, but the zero would shift as much as 3" from morning to afternoon! Drove me crazy until I tried another scope.

Point is, many inexpensive scopes look good and work good for awhile but they may present problems at any time and it doesn't take a high recoiling rifle to make it happen. Then, not only is that bargain scope a total loss of money but it could very well cost you an important shot!

I'd grit my teeth and buy at least a bottom of the line Leupold "Rifleman" scope from Walmart. The optics are ok and the warrantee is the same as for their more expensive models.

Last edited by 1hole; 07-17-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why not get a Nikon prostaff for 150 and up, leupold 199 and up
both are proven and both have lifetime warrentys
a scope can make a good gun worthless and a worthless gun good, get a decent one.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought an NcStar 4x20 for an AR-15 becasue it had the AR handle mount and mil-dot reticle. What a piece of crap! The mount was screwed into the tube canted a few degrees so the cross hairs are permanently canted as well, and the mil-dots were so big that they subtended an 8" area at 100 yds - not conducive to accurate aiming.
I have two Simmons scopes from about 12 -15 years ago that are very well made, the Whitetail Classic is a good scope, bright and durable, and the 4x20mm shotgun scope is excellent and has stood up to about 100 rds. of 12 ga. slugs out of a Marlin Slugmaster. I have a fixed 4x Bushnell Sportview from 15 years ago that is also a good scope and has held up to repeated use on a 30-30 and .303 British recoil. I didn't bother too much with scopes over my lifetime because of the woods I hunted in and the fact that iron sights always worked for me. Now that the eye's are failing and my interest changed from hunting to target shooting, and I can afford more expensive and accurate rifles, I will begin scoping everything, and I will be buying higher quality optics. AS far as durability, Simmons was always a good mid-range scope - they use multi-coated glass lenses and nitrogen seal their scopes like the top dollar manufacturers. I have never seen signs of lens separation on any of my scopes. The high end scope manufacturers use expensive low refractive index glass known as "starfire" or "water white". They use optical epoxy which has the same index of refraction as the glass itself, thereby increasing the efficiency of the anti-reflection coatings, light transmission, and eliminating "ghost" images, flair, and internal reflections. Most of the cheap manufacturers use single layer AR coatings and not the more expensive multi-layer coatings. This, and the quality of the glass are the main differences between a Leupold and a Weaver. Some real cheap scopes are actually using polycarbonate lenses, which are ok if they are sealed and evacuated with nitrogen. The problem is the seals leak over time and air and moisture cause separation of the lens elements.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-18-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #5

Default THANK YOU from Wrench

THANK YOU alot gentlemen, i needed to see the responses, i was sure that this would be the answer, i just wanted to make sure i didn't miss a diamond in the rough. I will just save up more money and go for a good scope, Nikon,Leupold, Simmons, Bushnell etc. I also had no idea about what the coatings they were using or anything about them, thanks again.

<striving to enter at the narrow gate>

Old 07-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 56

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270254245309&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

Check this out. I went ahaed and purchased one of these. When it gets here I will let you know how it is. It says that it is a genuine Bushnell, but the price is so cheap, and it is comming from China. It may be a fake, and he sells a lot of them, but he has all positive feedback. I will let you all know when I find out.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270254245309&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

Check this out. I went ahaed and purchased one of these. When it gets here I will let you know how it is. It says that it is a genuine Bushnell, but the price is so cheap, and it is comming from China. It may be a fake, and he sells a lot of them, but he has all positive feedback. I will let you all know when I find out.
Thanks Truevil - I for one would be interested in knowing how bright and if any paralax or barrel distortion is apparent. BTW, Simmons are now made in China also...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"