Mounting a Bipod Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Mounting a Bipod Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default Mounting a Bipod Question

I got a cheap bipod for my AR15 today. That's cheap price-wise. It seems to be fairly solid, and worth the $50. The gun is used strictly for target shooting and will never see the woods. The bipod mounts to the heat shield.

With all that in mind, here is my question. Should I mount the bipod so the legs fold toward the muzzle, or toward the stock. It looks like it can be changed if I get it wrong, but it doesn't look like it would be that easy for these old arthritic fingers. I would like some pro and con arguments for either direction. I hope to capitalize on your experience and save myself some pain. Thank you all in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I mount a bipod with legs in teh forward folding position, so that I can lean into the rifle a bit and have a bit of tesnion on the legs and knwo that they aren't going to fold up on me under recoil and recovery.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I fold my bipod legs forward for the same reason doc does. Also depending on how long your bipod is I have found when folding them back, the legs can sometimes get in the way. I guess this may not be a concern for a target rifle, but that's my two cents.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1942 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I got a cheap bipod for my AR15 today. That's cheap price-wise. It seems to be fairly solid, and worth the $50. The gun is used strictly for target shooting and will never see the woods. The bipod mounts to the heat shield.

With all that in mind, here is my question. Should I mount the bipod so the legs fold toward the muzzle, or toward the stock. It looks like it can be changed if I get it wrong, but it doesn't look like it would be that easy for these old arthritic fingers. I would like some pro and con arguments for either direction. I hope to capitalize on your experience and save myself some pain. Thank you all in advance.
Toward the muzzle. That way when you lean on the rifle while aiming, the legs will not buckle, but instead will "dig in" to provide a more solid platform.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I think it's time to quit while we are ahead. We have total agreement in an on-line forum. <grin>

SSGN_Doc, Tjurgensen, and Mercator. Thanks for your input and the explanations to go with it. This is the way I was leaning, too, which is why I made sure to point out what I was using the rifle for. I would probably have mounted the bipod with the legs folding back if it was going to see a lot of woods time just so I wouldn't be catching vines all day. At the range there is nothing to catch on, so I need to mount it in a way that serves that purpose best.

The reason I didn't just jump right on the forward folding mounting is that I couldn't figure out which way I was more likely to run into a folding problem. I knew I would have forces in both directions at one stage or another, but which was more likely to cause problems? I figured I would come out way ahead to ask those with experience, and look what happened. Everybody agreed.

Thanks again, everybody.