You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear >

Most versatile AR stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Default Most versatile AR stock?

I've started a build on an AR (5.56) and am building the lower piece-by-piece. I've decided to make two separate uppers, one a carbine w/ 16" barrel, and the other with at least a 20". The latter will be more of a 'varmint' build.

That being said, I'm going to have to pick my stock soon and I'm having trouble deciding. Does anyone have any opinions as to what stock would work well with two very different upper receivers? Any related advice for this type of build is welcome at this point.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Liked 373 Times on 238 Posts

I like a Magpul ACS for a versatile stock. It's a little wider than standard so it offers a good cheek weld for precision but still normal enough to work/look great on a standard carbine build.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 133 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Why not have multiple butt stocks? Most can be removed easily. Just make sure to get one that fits the buffer tube.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #4

Liked 895 Times on 470 Posts

Check out the Magpul STR. I think it's light enough for a carbine and to small or thin for a 20" varmint build. Also has a good wife check rest.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #5

FrontierTCB and Sgt_Skrb_25 - thank you for your recommendations! I will certainly look into these two first.

wknight40 - This is a great question, but I was wanting to keep the one stock to cut down on time when switching one upper with the other. My reasoning on this is that I'll probably keep the carbine upper on when storing for home defense, but if needed in a pinch I'd like to switch to something a bit more capable of "reaching out". I failed to mention that in my original question, sorry about that.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7356 Times on 3924 Posts
Likes Given: 579

the problem with collapsables is they do not offer much cheek rise and are loose for precision shooting.

the magpul ctr/moe line have available addon risers of various heights to rectify the cheek weld issue.

shooting plain iron sights nothing beats the good old A1/A2 rifle stock.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 173

If it was me (and this is what I do have) I'd go with a good brand of 6 position collapsible. You can add pads cheek rests pouches etc to suit your needs and length of pull again to suit your needs. I don't do alot of real precision shooting but I never noticed a problem with the looseness or even notice loosness for that matter and mine is not a high end brand it is a no name I picked up at a gun show relatively cheap. As for precision I had a cae of 75 grain moly coated black hills reloads they didn't run real reliable or I"d still be shooting them that gun with that stock rested over the hood of a 78 bronco would clover leaf that round all day long at about 120 yards. plenty precise for me.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

JonM and jsr5 - I totally skipped the thought of needing a riser for my stock. Thank you!

But I am looking at the CTR/MOE risers and they all say "This riser is for use on NON AR15/M4 applications as the riser will interfere with charging handle function. Originally designed for M14 carbine stock conversions"

Was this an issue for anyone?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 173

well no but thats because I don't use a riser I have a somewhat unique mounting system that mounts on the side of the "carry handle" keeps the scope on the same plane as the iron sights just have to slightly cant the rifle for scope use. Darn shame that mount is out of production I've only been able to get one more of them and have three more recievers to build eventually

Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr5 View Post
I have a somewhat unique mounting system that mounts on the side of the "carry handle" keeps the scope on the same plane as the iron sights just have to slightly cant the rifle for scope use
Today I learned that those even existed. I had no idea. That is pretty badass.