MI scar rail extension
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > MI scar rail extension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Default MI scar rail extension

got one of the brand spankin new MI scar rail extensions. its hot off the presses today. no one else has one of these MI units.

its also now sporting one of the vltor buttstocks!! main reason i got it is for the qd sling swivel. it also has a storage compartment and a much better angle for the shoulder pad.

for the added utility and versatility its 4 ounces heavier net after installation. with the 1 ounce savings on changing to vltor stock i only added 3 ounces to the rifle!!

color doesnt match because i havent oiled the extension it will change to match once it gets a bit of oil.

HOWEVER.... like anything else i do, if there is a flaw it will be with the one i get. the torque required to snug down the barrel screws is 60 inch pounds. MI suggests 62. my fat wrench only goes to 60 so i stuck with the fn rating. the new mi yoke mounting holes for the barrel stripped out so its back to MI tomorrow.

ill update with the results. im sure they will fix it.

i am pretty excited about this rail since the main issue i had hunting was every rest i found for observing through the scope comfortably want to rest on the exposed barrel. this extension is the perfect solution.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-13-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Went over to mi and told them what happened. Brought the gun fessed up to me being an idiot. But i was following the first run directions and over torqued the yoke screws stripping them out. So they replaced my yoke i offered to pay for a new part but that was declined. They are reprinting the instructions so its more clear which screws get torqued what before any get shipped out.

Yes, if you want to test something im the guy lol

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1427 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

It shows MI is a class act. By the way I hate people who have SCAR 17s because I don't have one.

Very nice rig.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Jon,

Now that is one fine piece! I LIKE! The rail is certainly cool.
Oh well S happens we can not be perfect all the time!!! But 99% isn't bad is it?
And MI are great people!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-13-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the rail extension really improves the handling of the gun. i can get waaaay out there and get super steady. plus its all rail height i could feasibly put different sight sets on there for increased sight radius. but i reallllllly like the fn sights. the addition of the qd sling swivel (anti rotation) on the extension fixes a major blunder on fn's part. i got the vltor stock just for the sling qd (rotational, not my pref) swivel.

just gotta rockset the bottom and side screws and remember not to be stupid and over torque.

the new handl defense lower for sr25 mag use should be here tomorrow. its made of t75 aluminum and allows use of a bcm gunfighter grip yay!! the plastic lower will go in the safe as a backup

Last edited by JonM; 12-14-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

That's one gorgeous gun Jon *drooling*...I was toying with the idea of importing a 17s last summer. No one sells them here, but they can be found atleast in Germany and Switzeland. Was a great idea until I saw the prices they go for...would've been almost 5500$ with all the permits and shipping fees. The H&K MR308s, FALs etc. are more reasonably priced though. The price of the ammo is also a bit of a problem because we rarely get any surplus 7.62 and there aren't really any affordable commercial ammo available plus I barely have enough time to reload for the bolt action...Well maybe at some point when I'm finished with school.

How much does the new lower add weight? I'm guessing not much since it's made of aluminium.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
That's one gorgeous gun Jon *drooling*...I was toying with the idea of importing a 17s last summer. No one sells them here, but they can be found atleast in Germany and Switzeland. Was a great idea until I saw the prices they go for...would've been almost 5500$ with all the permits and shipping fees. The H&K MR308s, FALs etc. are more reasonably priced though. The price of the ammo is also a bit of a problem because we rarely get any surplus 7.62 and there aren't really any affordable commercial ammo available plus I barely have enough time to reload for the bolt action...Well maybe at some point when I'm finished with school.

How much does the new lower add weight? I'm guessing not much since it's made of aluminium.
Its just a shame they are so pricey as fn really hit a home run with the 17s after the dribbling foul ball of the scar16.

Dunno the weight diff but the saving may be dramatic when looking at mag weight plus lower. The metal scar17 mags are stupid heavy.