Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Making Holsters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Making Holsters

Is anyone here making their own holsters? Lets see what you have and how you are doing it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If you check the forum I think you'll find many people are making holsters. I think there was a lot of talk about it about a month back. Most people use 8 ounce or heavier veggie tanned leather. Make your basic form so its very tight and then wet form it to the gun. It can be very simple or complex.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

WC did not know you were on this forum. I got the pics of your holsters in my email. The Ghost, understand

Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Ah. Well with that extra context I change my answer.
Post your pics and they will come.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

I have been out a while, and am just getting back. I just finished several, and have several more on the bench.

I use 8 ounce and line with 2 ounce Herrman Oak on visible holsters, I like 7 ounce on light edc carry.

Howdy Durango. Hows things in your corner of the earth? Yes, I got sidetracked on that other mess, and should have stayed over here.

1858 Remington with Mexican Double Loop Wyoming pattern. This one will end up with the grandson, as I am not happy with how it came out, I didnt allow enough in the loops and when it dried it shrunk and pulled.

This is a 7/8 ounce EDC light weight holster, it rides high and tight. It is a 1930's Texas Ranger Austin pattern.
I am working on a lined Tom Threepersons holster for my 25-5. It will come around in a few days.

Both of these holsters and the Threepersons have about 15 degrees of forward cant.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 03-25-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #6

WC pretty good work for an old Kansas Cowboy. I sure like the Tom Three Persons holsters. SD Myers used to make some really neat ones. By the way I saw a used Mdl.25-5 for sale in Rock Springs for $900 bucks. Damn this inflation any how.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #7

WC just noticed STI 1911? That is a little "High" class for a Jay Hawk.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #8

Well, the price tag on holsters these days is what got me started, I have been making my own holsters for 30 years, I guess. I can buy a whole side of Herrman 8/9 oz leather for $170 or so. I can get at least a dozen holsters out of that, with enough scrap to make at least a dozen knife sheaths. So, materials wise, I will have maybe $15 in the two up above, plus about 3 hours of messing with them. So that makes pretty affordable gun leather, if its an evening that you dont have anything better to do.

An old boy put this 25 up for sale a year and a half ago, he wanted $1200, it didnt sell, then last year about this time it put it back up on the free internet classifieds for $1000 a couple weeks later 900, then 800, then 700, then $650, then I gave him a call and met him at the Dairy Queen and gave him $600 and bought him an icecream. I like this idea of private sale, no papers, no tax, no government interference. Its like new, and has Hogue grips, it shoots well. But it deserves something better than that goofy nylon holster it came in. So, that is the next project.

That STI, has been a lot of places, and done a lot of things. There was a time that I got up from bed and put on a Class 3A vest, and that pistol and a .357 on my ankle and then went to work. The old Don Hume that it rode in for years, is about ready for the museum. It is actually a blue steel gun, and I was down in the Big Bend country tracking a guy and came back up thru Alpine, TX, and was talking to some fellers and they told me of this guy that had patented this process for titanium plating heart valves, so I went over to talk to him and had him put that plating on this pistol. If ya dont wanna do a lot of work cleaning it, you can strip it and put it in a basket and stick it in the dishwasher!! Gene Williams at Princeton, TX did the fine tuning on it. It has an 18.5# spring in it and it has a 1-1/2# trigger pull. It is glassy crisp with little muzzle rise with handloads with 250 gr Keith SWC's. It will load any combination of shells including empties. It has saved my bacon a couple of times .

I hope some of these other fellers will jump in on here with their holsters. I dont want this to be just my show and tell.

As to that Jay Hawk business, I guess my name sorta tells ya where I stand on that,,,eh?

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 03-26-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #9

Damn good deal on the Mdl. 25. I sold the one I had to a rancher dowm in Vernal, Ut. I knew the "Jay Hawk" would wake you up. Are you going to sell holsters?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #10

I dont know, there's a lot of guys that are in the business making holsters, making their living at it. I dont want ta cut into their business, but if'n you was here having a toddy and just couldnt get what you wanted anywhere else, I reckon that we could make it. Its like reloading and everything else, you either need to get in it or let someone else do it, and its expensive to get into it. Friend of mine has a saddle shop down the way, I take my stuff down and let Lester sew it and pay him, that way I dont have to get into the big $$$ of a top stitcher. He does really good stitching, so its better all around that way.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.