Make Your Own Rifle Scope

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Make Your Own Rifle Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Make Your Own Rifle Scope

Anybody got instructions? Back in the '40s, it was not unusual for kids to make as a science project their own scope. I'm not looking at competing with Zeiss, Swarvoski, Leupold or any of the other big boys. Rather, I'm thinking 19th Century technology. Any manuals anywhere?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I'm not sure how you would do that without spending more on tooling than you would on a good factory scope. The equipment for grinding, and polishing lenses alone would cost more than a good Leupold.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sometimes money isn't an option, it's the task and accomplishment they are after.

But to the OP I have no clue. I remember a science project were I made a mirrored box to see around a corner though!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a young boy back in the 40s/50s I used a collapsible telescope.Some black tape,a shim to hold the eye peas up level,a dot of paint on the lens. Mounted the rig on a Cadet 22 with practice it worked.