Mag loading question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Mag loading question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hectocotylus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 285
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts

Default Mag loading question

I just got my first center fire pistol. It is a 9mm. The other handgun I have is a .22. It has a handy thing on the side of the mag to take the tension off using your thumb so that loading is a breeze. This 9mm mag has no such feature. Am I just a wimp or am I hurting my thumb for no reason and should be using better technique

__________________
Hectocotylus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,103
Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default

I wouldn't say you are a wimp, most mags can be hard on the fingers especially with those short little shells. Maybe look into some sort of loader to help out, I just picked one up at Fleet Farm for 10 bucks, the mag slips into it and theres a lever you press which puts pressure down into the mag pushing the shells down so you can easily slide the next one into the mag without the tension being against it.

__________________

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hectocotylus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 285
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg
I wouldn't say you are a wimp, most mags can be hard on the fingers especially with those short little shells. Maybe look into some sort of loader to help out, I just picked one up at Fleet Farm for 10 bucks, the mag slips into it and theres a lever you press which puts pressure down into the mag pushing the shells down so you can easily slide the next one into the mag without the tension being against it.
Hmm sounds good. Does it fit any type of mag?
__________________
Hectocotylus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 28
Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
I just got my first center fire pistol. It is a 9mm. The other handgun I have is a .22. It has a handy thing on the side of the mag to take the tension off using your thumb so that loading is a breeze. This 9mm mag has no such feature. Am I just a wimp or am I hurting my thumb for no reason and should be using better technique
Sometimes magazines can be a little tough to load, especially new magazines with stiff springs. I'd have to see how you were going about loading them to give you advice on an easier way. I press the top round down with the thumb of the hand that's holding the magazine to give the next round a little room. There are also several products on the market for just this problem, like the upLULA pistol magazine loader for instance (www.maglula.com). Some new handguns even come with something similar. My Beretta 92A1 came with a magazine loader. Hope this helps.
__________________

I have no idea how that hole got there.

deadeye is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 864
Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

A lot of new pistols come with a small loader it is just a clip that fits over the mag & pushes down the top round so you can load the next round under the feed lips then push it back.
If your mags are double stack you can wrap your hand around the mag with your thumb on top. Then set a round on top of the last round while giving a little pressure on the round on top, give the bottom of the mag a thump up with the other hand & the round will drop into the mag. I call it the bump loading method.
After a few hundred rounds you mags will loosen up, or your thumbs will get stronger & the problem will go away.

__________________

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

7.62 Man is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,103
Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
Hmm sounds good. Does it fit any type of mag?
They had many different ones, each made to fit certain mags, have to look on the back of the box and see which one fits your mag, I have the Beretta 96 in 40 S&W, so the one I bought fits all Beretta 92/96 series mags and some others, I didn't look through all the rest to see what they were compatible with.
__________________

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hectocotylus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 285
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Well my mag is obviously brand new. It is a single stack. Hopefully it loosens up a bit. Good excuse to go shooting!

__________________
Hectocotylus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
Well my mag is obviously brand new. It is a single stack. Hopefully it loosens up a bit. Good excuse to go shooting!
Thats the only way to break in a "stiff" mag
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
treehugger49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newnan,Georgia
Posts: 421
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
Sometimes magazines can be a little tough to load, especially new magazines with stiff springs. I'd have to see how you were going about loading them to give you advice on an easier way. I press the top round down with the thumb of the hand that's holding the magazine to give the next round a little room. There are also several products on the market for just this problem, like the upLULA pistol magazine loader for instance (www.maglula.com). Some new handguns even come with something similar. My Beretta 92A1 came with a magazine loader. Hope this helps.
Definitely the UpLULA! Some training courses may require manual loading of your mags, but for everyday range preparation, you can't beat it.

Here's another link just for information. You can do better than this advertised price:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952670/maglula-uplula-pistol-magazine-loader-and-unloader-polymer-black
__________________

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

treehugger49 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
drvsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,636
Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

OK, first put on your big boy pants second buy a maglula.

Kidding...but in all seriousness, a Maglula is great, you can load 3 magazines with a maglula in the time it would take to load 1 without it. trust me we've timed it...

Boy, them Israelis make some good products!!!

__________________
SIG 1911 .45 ACP
SIG P229R 9mm
Beretta BU9 Nano 9mm
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
drvsafe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.45 acp and 200 gr. SWC loading jarhead315 Ammunition & Reloading 8 11-20-2012 03:32 AM
re-loading johnrhino123 AR-15 Discussion 13 08-10-2012 12:07 AM
Loading .223 SwampDonkey Ammunition & Reloading 7 07-24-2012 01:34 PM
.410 Loading rshew Ammunition & Reloading 3 08-27-2009 02:02 AM
Loading for AR zap Ammunition & Reloading 12 04-08-2009 10:09 PM