Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Mag loading question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/mag-loading-question-80973/)

Hectocotylus 01-11-2013 05:11 AM

Mag loading question
 
I just got my first center fire pistol. It is a 9mm. The other handgun I have is a .22. It has a handy thing on the side of the mag to take the tension off using your thumb so that loading is a breeze. This 9mm mag has no such feature. Am I just a wimp or am I hurting my thumb for no reason and should be using better technique

blucoondawg 01-11-2013 05:23 AM

I wouldn't say you are a wimp, most mags can be hard on the fingers especially with those short little shells. Maybe look into some sort of loader to help out, I just picked one up at Fleet Farm for 10 bucks, the mag slips into it and theres a lever you press which puts pressure down into the mag pushing the shells down so you can easily slide the next one into the mag without the tension being against it.

Hectocotylus 01-11-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg
I wouldn't say you are a wimp, most mags can be hard on the fingers especially with those short little shells. Maybe look into some sort of loader to help out, I just picked one up at Fleet Farm for 10 bucks, the mag slips into it and theres a lever you press which puts pressure down into the mag pushing the shells down so you can easily slide the next one into the mag without the tension being against it.

Hmm sounds good. Does it fit any type of mag?

deadeye 01-11-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus (Post 1089071)
I just got my first center fire pistol. It is a 9mm. The other handgun I have is a .22. It has a handy thing on the side of the mag to take the tension off using your thumb so that loading is a breeze. This 9mm mag has no such feature. Am I just a wimp or am I hurting my thumb for no reason and should be using better technique

Sometimes magazines can be a little tough to load, especially new magazines with stiff springs. I'd have to see how you were going about loading them to give you advice on an easier way. I press the top round down with the thumb of the hand that's holding the magazine to give the next round a little room. There are also several products on the market for just this problem, like the upLULA pistol magazine loader for instance (www.maglula.com). Some new handguns even come with something similar. My Beretta 92A1 came with a magazine loader. Hope this helps.

7.62 Man 01-11-2013 05:29 AM

A lot of new pistols come with a small loader it is just a clip that fits over the mag & pushes down the top round so you can load the next round under the feed lips then push it back.
If your mags are double stack you can wrap your hand around the mag with your thumb on top. Then set a round on top of the last round while giving a little pressure on the round on top, give the bottom of the mag a thump up with the other hand & the round will drop into the mag. I call it the bump loading method.
After a few hundred rounds you mags will loosen up, or your thumbs will get stronger & the problem will go away.;)

blucoondawg 01-11-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus (Post 1089079)
Hmm sounds good. Does it fit any type of mag?

They had many different ones, each made to fit certain mags, have to look on the back of the box and see which one fits your mag, I have the Beretta 96 in 40 S&W, so the one I bought fits all Beretta 92/96 series mags and some others, I didn't look through all the rest to see what they were compatible with.

Hectocotylus 01-11-2013 05:42 AM

Well my mag is obviously brand new. It is a single stack. Hopefully it loosens up a bit. Good excuse to go shooting!

HOSSFLY 01-11-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus (Post 1089088)
Well my mag is obviously brand new. It is a single stack. Hopefully it loosens up a bit. Good excuse to go shooting!

Thats the only way to break in a "stiff" mag :)

treehugger49 01-11-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadeye (Post 1089081)
Sometimes magazines can be a little tough to load, especially new magazines with stiff springs. I'd have to see how you were going about loading them to give you advice on an easier way. I press the top round down with the thumb of the hand that's holding the magazine to give the next round a little room. There are also several products on the market for just this problem, like the upLULA pistol magazine loader for instance (www.maglula.com). Some new handguns even come with something similar. My Beretta 92A1 came with a magazine loader. Hope this helps.

Definitely the UpLULA! Some training courses may require manual loading of your mags, but for everyday range preparation, you can't beat it.

Here's another link just for information. You can do better than this advertised price:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952670/maglula-uplula-pistol-magazine-loader-and-unloader-polymer-black

drvsafe 01-11-2013 01:24 PM

OK, first put on your big boy pants second buy a maglula.

Kidding...but in all seriousness, a Maglula is great, you can load 3 magazines with a maglula in the time it would take to load 1 without it. trust me we've timed it...

Boy, them Israelis make some good products!!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.