Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Looking for a comp for my 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

One word intemidation...lets say your a criminal and your trying to rob me, you know nothing bout gunsmithing. I pull that out...still want to rob me, and besides it looks sweet
Let me shove ANY gun in a robbers face and that problem is gone bc unless they do exactly as i say they will be in a world of hurt. If they continue to try and attack me they wont be hurt but dead bc ill turn their head into a canoe. The gun itself is enough intimidation. If not then you dont need to be carring it bc you lack that nessecary........something to make them realize you have the gun and wont hesitate to shoot them if it is needed.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Last edited by Marlinman; 03-18-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #12

Liked 244 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Let me shove ANY gun in a robbers face and that problem is gone bc unless they do exactly as i say they will be in a world of hurt. If they continue to try and attack me they wont be hurt but dead bc ill turn their head into a canoe. The gun itself is enough intimidation. If not then you dont need to be carring it bc you lack that nessecary........something to make them realize you have the gun and wont hesitate to shoot them if it is needed.

True true, I really like the way that looks

Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

True true, I really like the way that looks
I am of the philosphy that if its only for looks then your wastin time. If it has a GOOD purpose and still looks badass then ya its good. If you wanted the comp for speed shootin then ya id say go for it.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16873 Times on 9778 Posts
Likes Given: 43998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
One word intemidation...lets say your a criminal and your trying to rob me, you know nothing bout gunsmithing. I pull that out...still want to rob me, and besides it looks bad@ss
sorry sig, that argument IMO, just doesn't work. either if attacked by a BG, they are intimidated by the fact that you have a pistol or they aren't. i don't believe if that the comp will make one bit of difference, if the BG doesn't scare because you pulled a pistol. and if he isn't scared, either he is hyped up on meth, or really doesn't care that you have a pistol and probably has one of his own. you are trying to use some sort of logical reasoning is a situation that won't be rational to begin with.

i will go futher and give my thoughts to comps. unless it's competition pistol or a large heavy recoiling magnum, they are totally needless attachments. competition shooters need the extra edge a split second makes in the difference between winning or losing a contest. heavy recoiling magnums need them to help tame recoil and help with accuracy. so on a CCW pistol, they are IMO useless attachemnts that add weight and bulk to the pistol.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #15

Liked 244 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

sorry sig, that argument IMO, just doesn't work. either if attacked by a BG, they are intimidated by the fact that you have a pistol or they aren't. i don't believe if that the comp will make one bit of difference, if the BG doesn't scare because you pulled a pistol. and if he isn't scared, either he is hyped up on meth, or really doesn't care that you have a pistol and probably has one of his own. you are trying to use some sort of logical reasoning is a situation that won't be rational to begin with.

i will go futher and give my thoughts to comps. unless it's competition pistol or a large heavy recoiling magnum, they are totally needless attachments. competition shooters need the extra edge a split second makes in the difference between winning or losing a contest. heavy recoiling magnums need them to help tame recoil and help with accuracy. so on a CCW pistol, they are IMO useless attachemnts that add weight and bulk to the pistol.
It does help with recoil, and accuracy...doesnt? Im new to the gun world im 24 and got my first pistol a month ago, my second 2 weeks after. So im very fresh to this. I seen that pistol and feel in love, kinda like seeing your first supermodel

Old 03-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
It does help with recoil, and accuracy...doesnt? Im new to the gun world im 24 and got my first pistol a month ago, my second 2 weeks after. So im very fresh to this. I seen that pistol and feel in love, kinda like seeing your first supermodel
yes a comp will help with recoil and accuracy, but for it will be such a small change as for most it won't be worth it for a carry type pistol to any benefit over bulk and weight added to it. i have owned and shot many 1911's over the past 20 plus years and have shot some competition 1911's with a comp, trust me, it doesn't seem to be a big enough difference to offset cost for such a small and hardly noticeable change. i have two different 1911's right now, neither of which will ever be comped as any future ones. i will say this, it's your pistol and if you want to comp it, then by all means do so, as there will be any number of people glad to relieve you of your money. just don't expect some big change in performance when it's finished.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #17

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I agree with axxe55, a comp on a .45 ACP 1911 will do nothing perceivable to enhance performance. It will have the negative effect of shifting the gun's COG forward, expound the difficulty to extract the gun from concealment and provide you with buyer's remorse when you finally realize the total waste of time/money you have expended.

Compensators do have a place on magnum loads when recoil and muzzle control need assistance.

This is my 1911 with the Clark Custom Gun's 460 Rowland conversion installed. It needs the comp, and it works!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
I agree with axxe55, a comp on a .45 ACP 1911 will do nothing perceivable to enhance performance. It will have the negative effect of shifting the gun's COG forward, expound the difficulty to extract the gun from concealment and provide you with buyer's remorse when you finally realize the total waste of time/money you have expended.

Compensators do have a place on magnum loads when recoil and muzzle control need assistance.

This is my 1911 with the Clark Custom Gun's 460 Rowland conversion installed. It needs the comp, and it works!
That is one very VERY beautiful colt cane.....as all of em iv seen you post are

Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #19

I usually just try to read and enjoy these forums and take peoples opinions for what they are worth because I love this gun hobby. But this being the 4th one I've been a member of I'm about to start looking for number 5. I read so much about you regulars cull people on starting threads in the wrong forum, or asking stupid questions, or griping about people changing the subject that it drives me out. The guy asked where he could get a comp to make his gun look "cool" because that what he wants to do. The end. But y'all had to start in on your hypocritical "gun snob", which I've read each of you posting against, if it doesnt help performance it's a waste if time and money speeches. Good luck dude. If you want to put a useless comp on your gun that you paid for then go right ahead with it brother. I'm all for it. Sincerely, former member.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb32 View Post
I usually just try to read and enjoy these forums and take peoples opinions for what they are worth because I love this gun hobby. But this being the 4th one I've been a member of I'm about to start looking for number 5. I read so much about you regulars cull people on starting threads in the wrong forum, or asking stupid questions, or griping about people changing the subject that it drives me out. The guy asked where he could get a comp to make his gun look "cool" because that what he wants to do. The end. But y'all had to start in on your hypocritical "gun snob", which I've read each of you posting against, if it doesnt help performance it's a waste if time and money speeches. Good luck dude. If you want to put a useless comp on your gun that you paid for then go right ahead with it brother. I'm all for it. Sincerely, former member.
if the guy wants to spend $300-500 on parts and labor to put a comp on his gun because it looks "cool" so be it, it his gun. but for a carry gun, it's useless money wasted for nothing gained except weight and bulk. but i can see the same money spent on something like useful like ammo and magazines and much needed practice. he saw something in a movie and wants the same on his pistol. i'm sorry you feel the way you do, IMO pistols are about being practical, not "cool". i said as much, it's his pistol, he can do whatever he chooses. just don't expect to come here and ask a question or for a suggestion unless you are prepared for the answer given. the only practical purpose i have ever seen a comp on is a competition pistol where mere fractions of a second mean winning or losing or heavy recoiling pistols. i will stand by my original assessment and not apoligise for it, and if you so choose to remove yourself from the forum, then so be it. i just call things the way i see them and from past experiance. good luck to you with your rose colored view of the world!