Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > long range varmint light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 612 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
plus I have the red lense cover that aids in spotting animals at night.
I have one of these Q-beams. I tried the red lens on some deer in my front yard once. They practically broke their necks running away. Ran through my fence! I read somewhere they might think the red was the eyes of a predator. 3 million candle power of red light might have been a little much?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #12

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
I have one of these Q-beams. I tried the red lens on some deer in my front yard once. They practically broke their necks running away. Ran through my fence! I read somewhere they might think the red was the eyes of a predator. 3 million candle power of red light might have been a little much?
I've used red light to shine deer before but never from a powerful spotlight, I mounted a outdoor light socket, like people stick in the ground to illuminate Christmas Decorations with flood lights, in a tree and put a red heat lamp bulb in it. Seemed to work ok, the bigger bucks wouldn't stick around too long but they didn't leave as fast as if I shined them with a white light. The red heat lamp seemed to work better than the painted red type Xmas flood lights. My neighbor uses this method all the time and always has deer in at night.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #13

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The first series of the ND-3 would fade out in cold temps,30* or colder.They make a newer model called a sub-zero,and it handles the cold weather without the problems of the other one.
Mine is the early version,but I haven't had the fading problems with it.A friend has one just like it,and his would completely disappear in the colder weather.He sent it in,and they replaced it.
I just saw they have the ND3 on clearance at Dunhams sporting goods for 259 or 279, 100 dollars off. Too bad it won't work in the cold