Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > long range varmint light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default long range varmint light

Any one have suggestions for a light I could use for long range night shooting of fox and coyote? something that really lights stuff up well at long distance id say preferably out to 300 yards? Maybe they don't have anything short of a regular spotlight idk. Id prefer something as small as possible without large batteries to carry around

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Well,you probably won't be taking shots at 300 yards in the dark.It's a little unsafe to do that!
We use handheld spotlights,and a Laser Genetics ND-3 laser that's mounted on one of my rifles for hunting varmints and hogs at night.Most of our shots are from 30-100 yards.
The ND-3 works great with a scope with an illuminated reticle scope,but I'd buy the ND-4 if I was going to get one.It's bigger than the 3,and the beam is better suited for what I want to use it for.With the ND-3,I can see small animals like coyotes and hogs out to around 100 yards in total darkness.

Savage 12 FLVSS with the ND-3 mounted on top of the scope-

The spotlight that I use is a 3 million candle power Q-Beam that plugs into a 12 volt socket,it works very good for lighting everything up,plus I have the red lense cover that aids in spotting animals at night.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #3

I don't really see it as unsafe if you have sufficient lighting to identify your target, I saw that laser light online, I saw alot of conflicting reviews and opinions on some forums, most were older though, they claimed the light wouldn't work if it were under 50 degrees and I'm in Northern WI so that wouldn't do me any good. Looks like a good technology if they have the bugs worked out though

Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have used an air craft landing light attached to a 12 volt Honda Battery. This is hand held not rifle mounted. We shoot at zero and sub zero winter temps the small mounted batteries don't last long. I doubt you will ever nite shoot at 300 yds.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I don't really see it as unsafe if you have sufficient lighting to identify your target, I saw that laser light online, I saw alot of conflicting reviews and opinions on some forums, most were older though, they claimed the light wouldn't work if it were under 50 degrees and I'm in Northern WI so that wouldn't do me any good. Looks like a good technology if they have the bugs worked out though
The first series of the ND-3 would fade out in cold temps,30* or colder.They make a newer model called a sub-zero,and it handles the cold weather without the problems of the other one.
Mine is the early version,but I haven't had the fading problems with it.A friend has one just like it,and his would completely disappear in the colder weather.He sent it in,and they replaced it.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

do the coyotes seem to react to the laser? I've also seen conflicting reports on that

Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
I have used an air craft landing light attached to a 12 volt Honda Battery. This is hand held not rifle mounted. We shoot at zero and sub zero winter temps the small mounted batteries don't last long. I doubt you will ever nite shoot at 300 yds.
I have many places to hunt where I am looking across large fields backed up to river bottom or swamp, this is where I want the ability to see 300 yds if possible, the fields are much longer than that and the only place offering decent cover is completely on the other side so I have to get lucky enough to lure the coyotes out into the field quite a bit in the first place, my scope goes up to 24x, so I will have no problem identifying a target at that range providing I get the right lighting.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
do the coyotes seem to react to the laser? I've also seen conflicting reports on that
If you turned the beam down small,and pointed it directly into their eyes,I'm sure they would react.I use a wider beam to lighten up the entire area of the scopes reticle while I'm looking through it,and we have never had a problem with animals being spooked from the ND-3.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402053&pdesc=Primos_Varmint_Hunting_ 250_Yard_Rechargeable_Light_Kit_With_Halogen_Bulb# details_box_holder

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
If you turned the beam down small,and pointed it directly into their eyes,I'm sure they would react.I use a wider beam to lighten up the entire area of the scopes reticle while I'm looking through it,and we have never had a problem with animals being spooked from the ND-3.
Thanks for the info, good to hear it from someone who actually uses the product