Loc-tite unlocked - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Loc-tite unlocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
JD, does NH stake the bushings?

Heres what you need;
  1. Vice grips, set light first and if that spins go heavy and break the bushing into pices. Clean up the mess and check the threads.
  2. If threads are questionable (higher probality if staked), run a tap to clean them up. DO NOT use the new bushings to clean the threads! They will become zen with the receiver.
  3. Do yourself a favor and get what us 1911 owners use to frequently change out bushings; the bushing driver and a small tube of blue thread-loc.
Attachment 6887

This tool is a MUST for slim/thin bushings! Don't forget to use slim/thin screws or you will contact the mag!

I got my bushing driver from Alan Smith @ SMITH & ALEXANDER, INC (800)722-1911
Explain this staked bushing to me....Is it not just a double threaded bushing?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
What that means is, after the bushing is tightened, a staking tool (similar to a punch) is used to deform the metal in a few spots around the bushing to prevent the bushing from coming loose. The bushing itself is the same, it's just mechanically locked in place after installation.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #13

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Some manufactures’ will stake the bushings after installation. They simply swedge the inside of the bushing (from the mag void side) after it is seated making it near impossible to back out on its own. This is a similar process to the staking of the plunger tube.

With the development of high performance anaerobic adhesives this process is losing favor to the much simpler application of thread locker.

A quick visual check will let you know if your bushings are swedged. Remove the stocks and look at the back side of the bushing. If the inside of the bushing looks flared or has been tapped with a Philips screwdriver, you have staked bushings. This inspection, should it not provide bushing staked info, will allow you to identify the color of the thread-lock used.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #14

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't believe they were staked because I got three of them out and, upon looking at the last one from the rear, I can see no evidence of it being staked as you guys described.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Some manufactures’ will stake the bushings after installation. They simply swedge the inside of the bushing (from the mag void side) after it is seated making it near impossible to back out on its own. This is a similar process to the staking of the plunger tube.

With the development of high performance anaerobic adhesives this process is losing favor to the much simpler application of thread locker.

A quick visual check will let you know if your bushings are swedged. Remove the stocks and look at the back side of the bushing. If the inside of the bushing looks flared or has been tapped with a Philips screwdriver, you have staked bushings. This inspection, should it not provide bushing staked info, will allow you to identify the color of the thread-lock used.
OK, that makes sense. They did that in some automotive applications years ago and they SUCKED. They always broke free in a place where it was impossible to get. I'm not a fan.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #16

It's almost like the manufacturer is trying to make their grips proprietary. "You're not gonna be changing out OUR bushings!"

Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Why do you need to change the bushings? Do different grips us different size bushings? Teach me guys, I've had my Kimber for a couple months.....

Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Why do you need to change the bushings? Do different grips us different size bushings? Teach me guys, I've had my Kimber for a couple months.....
When going to a slim panel like I am, you need to change out the bushings with ones that are made for slims. Otherwise, the bushing/screw could protrude from the top surface of the grip or, worse yet, protrude into the mag on the inside. No bueno.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Gotcha...The height of the grip is the issue which requires the bushing change. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #20

Default Nighthawk service

So I bought a BIGGER soldering iron, 2 sets of badass vice-grips with new sharp pointy teeth (Monty Python reference, Cane), and STILL couldn't budge the little bugger.

So I sent it off to the nice people at Nighthawk (and they WERE nice). The guy said they should be able to get it back to me within one day after receiving it. He said that, normally, they would only use blue loctite and couldn't explain why one of their people would use red....but that they would make it right for me.

So far, I'm impressed with Nighthawk. I will keep you posted on how my experience with them turns out.