Loc-tite unlocked
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Loc-tite unlocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Loc-tite unlocked

Can't get the damned grip bushing unfrozen from the frame. Any hints on how to unlock the Loc-tite?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Can't get the damned grip bushing unfrozen from the frame. Any hints on how to unlock the Loc-tite?
Try localized heat. A soldering gun or pencil-type torch should work ok.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What color lock tite is it? purple or blue shouldn't require anything but will loosen with heat. Red, any #, will loosen with some heat but they need to be rather warm. If it's green...well....get a torch, a press and pray it will come apart.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #4

Can't tell what color it is, unfortunately. I have a soldering iron, but not any kind of a torch, so I'll try that. Thanks guys.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
What color lock tite is it? purple or blue shouldn't require anything but will loosen with heat. Red, any #, will loosen with some heat but they need to be rather warm. If it's green...well....get a torch, a press and pray it will come apart.
Why would Nighthawk use red, which sounds pretty permanent, on something as simple as a grip bushing? Hope they didn't, I'm just wanting to change my panels from regular-size to slim and have to change out the bushings to allow for the slims.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Why would Nighthawk use red, which sounds pretty permanent, on something as simple as a grip bushing? Hope they didn't, I'm just wanting to change my panels from regular-size to slim and have to change out the bushings to allow for the slims.
I'm not familiar with nighthawks grip bushings but if they're like the inserts that Kimber uses and judging by a quick google search they are, there is no reason they should use anything other then purple. Purple is a small screw, servicable lock tite. Blue is the same but can be used on larger bolts. Light heat from a heat gun, even a hair dryer should be enough to make them let go.

Yes, red is intended to be permanent for use on any size bolt, think drivetrain of cars/trucks. Green is used to press cylinder sleeves in engines.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #7

Tried the soldering iron, the highest heat I could deliver to such a tight area, and I could budge the bushings just a little bit. This is unbelievable, and now the bushings are mangled. I guess my only option is to send the frame to Nighthawk now, huh?

If I'm sending just the frame, do I have to go through the whole FFL routine?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

If I'm sending just the frame, do I have to go through the whole FFL routine?
No. It's to the manufacturer for repairs. You aren't changing ownership.

I sent my complete Kimber to Robar for coating and they sent it directly back. It was already mine, there was no transfer of owner.

JD

Old 10-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

JD, does NH stake the bushings?

Heres what you need;

1. Vice grips, set light first and if that spins go heavy and break the bushing into pices. Clean up the mess and check the threads.
  2. If threads are questionable (higher probality if staked), run a tap to clean them up. DO NOT use the new bushings to clean the threads! They will become zen with the receiver.
  3. Do yourself a favor and get what us 1911 owners use to frequently change out bushings; the bushing driver and a small tube of blue thread-loc.
dscf3681.jpg

This tool is a MUST for slim/thin bushings! Don't forget to use slim/thin screws or you will contact the mag!

I got my bushing driver from Alan Smith @ SMITH & ALEXANDER, INC (800)722-1911

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 10-18-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
JD, does NH stake the bushings?

Heres what you need;
  1. Vice grips, set light first and if that spins go heavy and break the bushing into pices. Clean up the mess and check the threads.
  2. If threads are questionable (higher probality if staked), run a tap to clean them up. DO NOT use the new bushings to clean the threads! They will become zen with the receiver.
  3. Do yourself a favor and get what us 1911 owners use to frequently change out bushings; the bushing driver and a small tube of blue thread-loc.
Attachment 6887

This tool is a MUST for slim/thin bushings! Don't forget to use slim/thin screws or you will contact the mag!

I got my bushing driver from Alan Smith @ SMITH & ALEXANDER, INC (800)722-1911
Well, I got all but one of them out (of course, the first one I worked on) using the vice-grips. I was surprised to see that the loc-tite was red. I guess that explains some of it.

They were crappy vice-grips, so I think I'll get a new pair tomorrow with sharper teeth and I bet I'll get the last one. And you better believe I'll get one of those tools....thanks for that....my right hand is like hamburger.

And I have the slim bushings and screws ready to go from Brownell's.