Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Liberty Safe - Centurion 22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/liberty-safe-centurion-22-a-38514/)

ScottA 02-15-2011 07:01 PM

Liberty Safe - Centurion 22
 
2 Attachment(s)
Today I became a "responsible" gun owner. They delivered the Centurion 22 I bought from Gander Mountain. I've given that store too much money over the past month.

It was on sale for $550. I'm very pleased with that deal. Access point at bottom right corner for an in-safe heater/dehumidifier. 30min fire rating. Lot's of room for my current four long-guns, the one or two more long-guns I plan to buy in the near future, and plenty more handguns than what I have right now.

orangello 02-15-2011 07:42 PM

I recently got a gun safe with the fire rating and all from Gander Mountain. It looks similar to yours. I noticed the other night, that there are four holes in the bottom of the safe, visible if you lift up on the interior panel with the pull tab. It is not going to be easy to fix that, but i think i will have to do something about it or just bolt it to the concrete under the tile floor.

Is you safe holey too?

ScottA 02-15-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 446106)
I recently got a gun safe with the fire rating and all from Gander Mountain. It looks similar to yours. I noticed the other night, that there are four holes in the bottom of the safe, visible if you lift up on the interior panel with the pull tab. It is not going to be easy to fix that, but i think i will have to do something about it or just bolt it to the concrete under the tile floor.

Is you safe holey too?

Yep, but I don't plan on bolting it down. I don't have any kids around the house, so I'm not concerned about munchkins knocking it over. And I'm absolutely sure no one is going to run off with this thing. (Many thanks to the moving crew) Might secure it at the next house.

No plans on doing anything with the holes. I think you'll find them on just about every safe out there.

spittinfire 02-15-2011 08:33 PM

I saw them on sale and was thinking about getting one. What are your impressions of it?

I definately need a safe and I think this one would work for me for the next few years. It has to fire resistant though.

amoroque 02-15-2011 08:44 PM

I think you would want to bolt it to the ground whether you have kids that could knock it over or not.

Bolting the safe to the ground makes a safe harder to break in to.

canebrake 02-15-2011 08:55 PM

Not sure the fire rating would be accurate without it being bolted down.

Ya think the engineer that designed the safe expects the owner to bolt it down? The safeís floor is its achilles heel. If itís designed to be bolted down they will cut costs by using a thinner floor.

orangello 02-15-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 446113)
No plans on doing anything with the holes. I think you'll find them on just about every safe out there.

I doubt anyone i would care to scrap with could move this thing without a mule team and a goooood furniture dolly and some Doan's back ache pills. I was more wondering about the fire-resistance impact of openings to the floor. In my case, it is on tile, so i doubt there would be much impact, i guess.

Any firefighter peeps with input on the holey issue?


edit* What cane said, but with a question mark.



Scott, did you get the dehumidifier rod?

ScottA 02-15-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 446158)
Scott, did you get the dehumidifier rod?

Yes I did.

As for bolting it down. It was enough to get my wife to agree to this in the house. I'm 95% in a better situation with the safe than without, I'm not going to push her to mess up her carpet and floor for the other 5%. That's for the next house with a dedicated work room.

orangello 02-15-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 446171)
As for bolting it down. It was enough to get my wife to agree to this in the house. I'm 95% in a better situation with the safe than without, I'm not going to push her to mess up her carpet and floor for the other 5%. That's for the next house with a dedicated work room.

Tell her she can keep her jewelry box on the top shelf. ;)


Scott, did you consider the door storage option? The one i ended up with has some pistol holsters/pockets and other mag pockets and such on a thing that mounts to the inside of the door. It saves space on the handgun storage.

amoroque 02-15-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 446171)
Yes I did.

As for bolting it down. It was enough to get my wife to agree to this in the house. I'm 95% in a better situation with the safe than without, I'm not going to push her to mess up her carpet and floor for the other 5%. That's for the next house with a dedicated work room.

Sounds good! Nice looking safe!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.