Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Level IV protection for LEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Level IV protection for LEO

Over the past few months I’ve had an increase in request for my BCS NU custom carrier from LE officers to support their custom cut NIJ style IIIA soft armor with the ability to add a front only 10 x12 level IV hard plate. These requests are coming from officers across the country. Are LE officers experiencing an increased threat level by criminals using assault rifles (7.62x39) nationally??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The level IV plates have become more attainable and light enough to be practical for everyday wear. 10 years ago level IV meant Second Chance Hard Corps that was way too heavy/bulky for every day wear. With the new ceramics that have multi hit ratings are getting into a price range officers can afford. When adjusted for inflation, these plates are down right cheap.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It's only an officer's life, why spend the extra money?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

matt...............I'd moderate that post!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Dunerunner, I can see the sarcasm in Matt's post. I'm ok with it.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Personally I do not see a need for level IV plates. Level III hard plates will stop anything short of .30 cal AP. Not a lot of that around. I would feel perfectly safe with level III mulit-hit plates and save $500 and several pounds per plate.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

Most the officers that have requested the carrier are wanting the carrier because it is low profile,support IV protection and still worn under their uniform.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Over the past few months I’ve had an increase in request for my BCS NU custom carrier from LE officers to support their custom cut NIJ style IIIA soft armor with the ability to add a front only 10 x12 level IV hard plate. These requests are coming from officers across the country. Are LE officers experiencing an increased threat level by criminals using assault rifles (7.62x39) nationally??

Some places the threat isn't from a "gangsta" with an "assault" rifle. Where I live and work it is very rural and almost everyone has a center fire hunting rifle.

When people own these rifles and decide to use one for nefarious purposes it legitimizes the need for protection against centerfire rifle calibers.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #9

Default Increasing level of threat

Everyday shootings are taking place with ever increasing fire power. Based upon the requests I have had for the custom NIJ carrier to support Level III or Level IV plate, I feel LE officers are preparing for threat level changes.