Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Level IV protection for LEO (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/level-iv-protection-leo-8925/)

Beez 12-04-2008 02:03 PM

Level IV protection for LEO

Over the past few months Iíve had an increase in request for my BCS NU custom carrier from LE officers to support their custom cut NIJ style IIIA soft armor with the ability to add a front only 10 x12 level IV hard plate. These requests are coming from officers across the country. Are LE officers experiencing an increased threat level by criminals using assault rifles (7.62x39) nationally??

robocop10mm 12-04-2008 04:43 PM

The level IV plates have become more attainable and light enough to be practical for everyday wear. 10 years ago level IV meant Second Chance Hard Corps that was way too heavy/bulky for every day wear. With the new ceramics that have multi hit ratings are getting into a price range officers can afford. When adjusted for inflation, these plates are down right cheap.

matt g 12-04-2008 05:17 PM

It's only an officer's life, why spend the extra money?

dunerunner 12-04-2008 06:11 PM

matt...............I'd moderate that post!!

robocop10mm 12-04-2008 06:57 PM

Dunerunner, I can see the sarcasm in Matt's post. I'm ok with it.

robocop10mm 12-04-2008 07:00 PM

Personally I do not see a need for level IV plates. Level III hard plates will stop anything short of .30 cal AP. Not a lot of that around. I would feel perfectly safe with level III mulit-hit plates and save $500 and several pounds per plate.

Beez 12-09-2008 02:13 PM

Most the officers that have requested the carrier are wanting the carrier because it is low profile,support IV protection and still worn under their uniform.

jeepcreep927 12-11-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beez (Post 54116)
Over the past few months Iíve had an increase in request for my BCS NU custom carrier from LE officers to support their custom cut NIJ style IIIA soft armor with the ability to add a front only 10 x12 level IV hard plate. These requests are coming from officers across the country. Are LE officers experiencing an increased threat level by criminals using assault rifles (7.62x39) nationally??

Some places the threat isn't from a "gangsta" with an "assault" rifle. Where I live and work it is very rural and almost everyone has a center fire hunting rifle.

When people own these rifles and decide to use one for nefarious purposes it legitimizes the need for protection against centerfire rifle calibers.

Beez 04-09-2009 02:13 PM

Increasing level of threat

Everyday shootings are taking place with ever increasing fire power. Based upon the requests I have had for the custom NIJ carrier to support Level III or Level IV plate, I feel LE officers are preparing for threat level changes.