Leather gun case - antique suitcase style
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Leather gun case - antique suitcase style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Default Leather gun case - antique suitcase style

Since I purchased my first single action revolver I had the idea of turning a late 1800s suitcase into a gun case. Given that the cowboy era was what they reminded me of; and the fact that I can't walk around sporting a double holster rig, I wanted a case that looked the part. The problem I ran into was finding a suitcase in a condition that was good enough to actually use that didn't cost more than both my single actions combined. I used to see these things at sales and antique shops for next to nothing; at least until I wanted one. So it seemed to me that I had one option .... Make one from scratch.

The case is 17"x12"x6" od and 16"x11"x5" id approximately. I used all heavy veggie tanned tooling hide in 6-8 oz. It has a cardboard base form which the leather was wrapped and attached. It was all hand stitched as well. I made the handle by wrapping a 1/4" aluminum rod that I bent to shape. I definitely learned a ton with this project. I would rearrange a few steps in the process next time around to quicken it up and save some headaches along the way. I would have definitely built a seperate interior form and lined that then installed it before putting in any rivets. All in all I'm super happy with it. Now to get it oiled up or waterproofed. Not 100% sure what I'm going to treat it with yet.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

REALLY pretty work there! Great job!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

Liked 4520 Times on 2250 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Awesome work! And were glad to see you back here!!!

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Wow. That turned out really nice. Great Job.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

Liked 511 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
Since I purchased my first single action revolver I had the idea of turning a late 1800s suitcase into a gun case. Given that the cowboy era was what they reminded me of; and the fact that I can't walk around sporting a double holster rig, I wanted a case that looked the part. The problem I ran into was finding a suitcase in a condition that was good enough to actually use that didn't cost more than both my single actions combined. I used to see these things at sales and antique shops for next to nothing; at least until I wanted one. So it seemed to me that I had one option .... Make one from scratch.

The case is 17"x12"x6" od and 16"x11"x5" id approximately. I used all heavy veggie tanned tooling hide in 6-8 oz. It has a cardboard base form which the leather was wrapped and attached. It was all hand stitched as well. I made the handle by wrapping a 1/4" aluminum rod that I bent to shape. I definitely learned a ton with this project. I would rearrange a few steps in the process next time around to quicken it up and save some headaches along the way. I would have definitely built a seperate interior form and lined that then installed it before putting in any rivets. All in all I'm super happy with it. Now to get it oiled up or waterproofed. Not 100% sure what I'm going to treat it with yet.
You did a beautiful job on that case. I have a number of cases for my guns, but today those making them have become more scarce and more expensive. This case made by a California company is almost exactly the same on the outside as yours, except mine is canvas. Mine also includes straps. Sorry I didn't have a photo of it. The interior of mine obviously has compartments for a specific gun and accessories in velvet. Gotta say again that your work is top shelf and I wouldn't mind getting one for my 1878 Colt DA.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #6

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Thanks much guys! I really look forward to aging this one with normal use. Will look better and better every year.

That's a beauty of a 1911 gunsmoke! Love that. I'd be more than happy to work with you on an 1878 case. I have the material here to do a felt lined compartment interior. They end up more as a presentation case that way, instead of a range case, but some guns deserve it!

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #7

Liked 511 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
Thanks much guys! I really look forward to aging this one with normal use. Will look better and better every year.

That's a beauty of a 1911 gunsmoke! Love that. I'd be more than happy to work with you on an 1878 case. I have the material here to do a felt lined compartment interior. They end up more as a presentation case that way, instead of a range case, but some guns deserve it!
Thanks Longballer, I'll definitely be in touch with you soon. After all the orders you'll be getting I hope you'll find time for me. Can I suggest that the strap holding your lid be brought further back like mine. A smaller one would be more convenient, while being more subtle. Just a thought from someone who knows nothing, but I love your work.