Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > For law enforcement/military use only?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default For law enforcement/military use only?

I recently purchased my first AR15 from a former military member. A couple of the accessories that came with it were an eotech holosight and 2 h&k mags that both say "for law enforcement/military use only." I'm just wondering about the legality of a civilian owning these types of items and if there is a legal issue with it and the types of penalties that could be pursued by none other than the same people these items were meant for, the law.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #2

If Im not mistaken the 94 assault weapons ban required that then new made assault type weapons were to have that designation inscribed on the weapon itself . I have magazines of more than 10 rounds labeled as such with a 1994 date on them. So any weapons or accessories like hi cap mags made during that 10 year period had to have that designation. There is no legal issue with owning any weapons or accessories with that slogan on them. Can anyone else confirm and or elaborate?

Fear not the recoil, love it.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by law1220 View Post
If Im not mistaken the 94 assault weapons ban required that then new made assault type weapons were to have that designation inscribed on the weapon itself . I have magazines of more than 10 rounds labeled as such with a 1994 date on them. So any weapons or accessories like hi cap mags made during that 10 year period had to have that designation. There is no legal issue with owning any weapons or accessories with that slogan on them. Can anyone else confirm and or elaborate?
Depends on the state. I know for example that the us military has never sold m16s as surplus so an m16 marked property of the us govt on the nfa registry got there thru less than legal means.

If the sight is marked property of us govt its stolen. The feds have never sold holo sights as surplus. The mags are ok as the govt doesnt us em. But state law in ohio may be different. Consult your local da office for official opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Oh, no! You mere civilians cannot be trusted with such hardware. It is a heinous, felonious offense to possess such items. You must send each and everyone of such items to me and I will see to it they are used only by trustworthy LE professionals.

Really? There is nothing wrong with you possessing such items.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #5

After looking into this a little further. The h&k magazines can only be purchased in the law enforcement/military side of the website. Other websites have mags on there that are virtually the same but not exactly. My guess, it is put on there to appeal to whatever group they're targeting. It is kind of funny to see that you can only purchase these specific mags by clicking the link right below the grenade launcher link, but hey, I can't complain, they're frickin nice mags.