Laser Sight Zeroing Help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Laser Sight Zeroing Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Laser Sight Zeroing Help

I just bought a $20 Laser Sight that easily fits on my HK Full Size USP's rails.

I've had trouble zeroing it. I adjusted it the best I could, but are finding that there seems to be no way to zero it perfectly for all ranges.

If you get close enough to the target, the laser points down below the barrel. Opposite happens as you get far enough away from a target.

I'm forced to practice and remember that my rounds will go either above or below the laser point when aiming with the laser pointer.

I'm thinking that maybe the laser pointer sight is just for close quarters. My USP is being used as Home Defense.

Can anyone help me out with this? Does anyone have experience with this? Maybe I just have a cheapo laser sight, and have to deal with a much more expensive one?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8879 Times on 3845 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

First, $20 is VERY inexpensive for a laser sight. Not saying is bad, but is just above the pocket laser pointer I keep in my computer bag.

Secondly, the beam from a laser is FLAT- neither rises not falls. The bullets from ANY firearm rise and fall- they rise to move above the line of sight, and further out, drop back below it. Because the firearm is tilted up. There is NO sight- iron, optical red dot, laser, or scope that is zeroed for ALL ranges.

For defensive purposes, would probably zero the sight for about 15 yds. Closer than that you are still going to hit the bad guy. Further than that- you are probably not in a pure defense setting, and may not be able to see laser.

To me, defensive shooting is for what I have heard called my "doctor" gun. That is, ear, nose, and throat. Stick the barrel in his ear, nose, throat. Laser is really not for 200 yd shots- it is to QUICKLY acquire a sight picture at relatively close range. When things are about to get frantic, and you may not be able to acquire a nice, deliberate, front-sight-centered-in-rear-sight-opening sort of sight picture.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The laaser is nothing more than quick acquisition. You can pick up the target by point shooting. If you try to 'zero' to different ranges and use your actual sights, you will drive yourself crazy. c3 has it right. Set for 15 yds or so and use it for point shooting without your sights. Farther than that, use your open sights.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The bullet never rises after it leaves the barrel. Meaning it never rises about the line of departure or the line of the bore of the rifle or pistol.

The trajectory of the bullet and the line of sight in this case are two different things. The laser just like sights or a scope have to be adjusted for a specific distance. Say you set your laser at POI for 25 yards. That is the point at which the bullet trajectory and the laser beam intersect.

Just like the bullet looks to rise above the line of SIGHT it will with the laser as well. You should sight it in for a specific range and leave it there.

As for price I paid $40+ for my laser pointer to play with my cats. As soon as the Green ones come down in price a little I am getting one of them.

Anyways.
It is like military sighting of the M-16 you don't go and sight it in at 25, 50 , 100, 150, 200, adn 300 meters. You sight them in at 25m and in theory that should put you back at POI = POA at 250 meters.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #5

I know this thread is long gone, old and dead, however I happened to stumble across this somehow and felt the need to throw this information out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The bullet never rises after it leaves the barrel. Meaning it never rises about the line of departure or the line of the bore of the rifle or pistol.
I don't know where you've gotten your information, but projectiles very well do gain elevation after leaving the barrel. It may not be a huge amount but it is relevant. Take a look at any ballistics chart. This is also the reason sighting specific projectiles works at two different distances.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You sight them in at 25m and in theory that should put you back at POI = POA at 250 meters.
Don't know how you decided to simply multiply by ten, but a 25 yard zero is fairly spot on to a 100 yard zero.
Not trying to be an ass, just be aware that if you're going to provide someone with information, the information should be correct.

OP, I'm hoping that by now, 3 years and some-odd months later, that you've understood the point of intersection concept with the laser.