I got a LaserLyte Electronic Target, It's a Good Thing!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > I got a LaserLyte Electronic Target, It's a Good Thing!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default I got a LaserLyte Electronic Target, It's a Good Thing!

I guess the title covers it in summary, here's some additional details:

You can see the system here: http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/lts

I got the target, the .45 and 9mm laser "bullets."

The target box has a large target (~6" bull) and two smaller targets below it in each corner. The small left target turns on the display to show your "hits," and the right target resets it (to blank).

The laser "bullets" fit into the chamber (manually, not mag-fed) and act as a Snap Cap that blinks the laser when the hammer/striker smacks it. You see a momentary blink on the target, then the target blanks until you "shoot" the "display" target (lower left). Once you're done scoring your hits, either shoot the right target, or power cycle the box.

I've only played with it a few hours so far, but it's been a great help in smoothing out my DA pull and both-eyes-open aiming techniques (at home, in my living room ... no eye protection, no ear protection, semi-reclined in my La-Z-boy ...)

I believe it would also be useful for point-shooting practice, low-light, or almost any other type of practice. Of course, there is no recoil and you have to go DA or manually cock the hammer for SA for each shot.

LaserLyte say on their web site that it's good out to 50 yards and 6000 shots per battery load in the target. The "bullets" use three 337 button cells; three are loaded and three more are included in the package (six total, three used at a time ... or three in-use and three spare).

I suppose it seems a little steep price-wise, but given the cost of quality ammunition, I think ultimately you save money, save time traveling, save time reloading, and save gas (for those of us not lucky enough to be able to shoot on our property). Ballistically, I don't think there's enough difference to fret over (man those laser bullets sure are flat shooting!! ).

All-in-all, I think it's a pretty slick system. After I play with it a while, I'll try to post back and add any other observations.

For the record, I have no association with LaserLyte or any of its personnel. This is my first LaserLyte product. I bought it retail, direct from LaserLyte's web site.

If anyone has any specific questions, post 'em up and I'll try to answer 'em.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Do you have a hammered handgun? If you don't, how does it work? Do you have to rack the slide after each shot?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Do you have a hammered handgun? If you don't, how does it work? Do you have to rack the slide after each shot?
I've used it in hammered guns so far, so it was just a matter of re-cocking the hammer (ala single action revolver) or firing double action.

I believe in a striker-fired gun you'd need to rack the slide to reset the striker (or on H&K P7Mx, re-squeeze the cocking grip) for single action, or shoot it double action.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I saw that on TV the guy was using a Glock and yes he has to rack the slide back every time. He was using one that went into the barrel and heard the click of the striker. How do you like it man? I want one.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvia View Post
I saw that on TV the guy was using a Glock and yes he has to rack the slide back every time. He was using one that went into the barrel and heard the click of the striker. How do you like it man? I want one.
So far I'm liking it a lot. It's not perfect (i.e., no SA double taps ;-) )but good for alternate grip stuff, off hand practice, "quick draw" ... I suppose if you were a steel shooter you could have a couple set up in a typical target spread.

I'll probably get the "Universal" (the muzzle insert you saw) so I can work out with the 10mm too.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The universal works great!

There are adapters to screw into the skinny end of the device to keep that end centered in the bore. They're plastic, hard to grip, and are easily lost; I suggest doing the work over a surface with good lighting.

With a quick change of the battery holder, it also works as a bore sight to roughing-in your optics.

All-in-all, I still enjoy the system, I believe I'm improving my techniques, and it's worth the money spent (recommending again, check Amazon.com or Google for a vendor ... it'll probably be less than the LaserLyte site).