Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Hoppes bore snake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hoppes bore snake

Anybody ever use a bore snake for pistol? Seen them at a gunshop but was reluctant on buying one for 18 bucks till i hear any pros or cons on them? Are they worth the money or just stick with my cleaning rod? Im going to use it for my ruger single action and all i shoot is cast bullets..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Liked 1758 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

I like them. They work well and you can clean them.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

They are all I use. The only time I've used a rod in the last several years was to dislodge a stuck 223 case.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have one for every caliber that I shoot. IMO one of the best investments you can make aside from the Uplula.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #5

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Agreed with the others. I noticed the prices going up on them too, not what I used to pay and not all that long ago... Get 'em dirty, put 'em in a sock, run 'em through the wash...easy peasy...Gotta be careful with the cleaning rods around the muzzle, no worries with the 'snake...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7332 Times on 4250 Posts
Likes Given: 9444

I have one for each caliber I shoot and use them at the range and at home in the loading shed for cleaning. I say go for it!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #7

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I have a bunch of different ones. They work great. I just throw them in the washer every once in a while.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #8

Ok i appreciate everybodys input.. Guess i will go ahead and buy one .

Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I've seen 3 people at my local club break them off inside the barrel. They are becoming somewhat well known for this. Two of the guys couldn't get them out, and had to call it a day. One guy and I struggled for the better part of an hour, and used up half a can of WD-40, pushing and soaking it before getting it out of his AR.

If you feel the need to go to a pull through system, the Otis models use a vinyl coated steel cable with threaded tips and brushes, which is far more sturdy and will not break. Most of the Hoppe's Bore Snakes, (including the three I saw break), were older, and obviously beyond their service life. What generally happens is the solvents attack the integrity of the Nylon cord these things are manufactured from. That's generally when they let go.

I don't see a need for them because I clean thoroughly after each range session. I think the whole "pull from the breech" sales angle used with these things is highly overrated. If you use a good, one piece, coated cleaning rod like a Dewey, and know what you are doing, cleaning from the muzzle is not detrimental to any firearm.

Personally, for cleaning a sixgun, I think they would be a total PITA. Trying to run that thing through all six chambers would involve a lot of fumbling around. With a short rod you would be finished with all six chambers in the time it would take you to pull it through one. To me running a brush and patches both ways dislodges far more crud than all of this "pull through only" nonsense they employ to sell these things. This is a case of a company coming up with a product that has some limited use, but has to offset proven methods which have been successfully employed for decades, in order to sell it. I put "barrel break in's" into much the same category.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I've seen 3 people at my local club break them off inside the barrel. They are becoming somewhat well known for this. Two of the guys couldn't get them out, and had to call it a day. One guy and I struggled for the better part of an hour, and used up half a can of WD-40, pushing and soaking it before getting it out of his AR.

If you feel the need to go to a pull through system, the Otis models use a vinyl coated steel cable with threaded tips and brushes, which is far more sturdy and will not break. Most of the Hoppe's Bore Snakes, (including the three I saw break), were older, and obviously beyond their service life. What generally happens is the solvents attack the integrity of the Nylon cord these things are manufactured from. That's generally when they let go.

I don't see a need for them because I clean thoroughly after each range session. I think the whole "pull from the breech" sales angle used with these things is highly overrated. If you use a good, one piece, coated cleaning rod like a Dewey, and know what you are doing, cleaning from the muzzle is not detrimental to any firearm.

Personally, for cleaning a sixgun, I think they would be a total PITA. Trying to run that thing through all six chambers would involve a lot of fumbling around. With a short rod you would be finished with all six chambers in the time it would take you to pull it through one. To me running a brush and patches both ways dislodges far more crud than all of this "pull through only" nonsense they employ to sell these things. This is a case of a company coming up with a product that has some limited use, but has to offset proven methods which have been successfully employed for decades, in order to sell it. I put "barrel break in's" into much the same category.
I've used one on my Model 17, 10 shot revolver for years. No complaints.

You sound like some old codger griping about the internet just being another fad.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA