Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Hoppes bore snake (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/hoppes-bore-snake-68860/)

44magmike 07-24-2012 02:56 PM

Hoppes bore snake

Anybody ever use a bore snake for pistol? Seen them at a gunshop but was reluctant on buying one for 18 bucks till i hear any pros or cons on them? Are they worth the money or just stick with my cleaning rod? Im going to use it for my ruger single action and all i shoot is cast bullets..

rjd3282 07-24-2012 03:13 PM

I like them. They work well and you can clean them.

ScottA 07-24-2012 03:58 PM

They are all I use. The only time I've used a rod in the last several years was to dislodge a stuck 223 case.

zebramochaman 07-25-2012 01:50 AM

I have one for every caliber that I shoot. IMO one of the best investments you can make aside from the Uplula.

vincent 07-25-2012 01:57 AM

Agreed with the others. I noticed the prices going up on them too, not what I used to pay and not all that long ago...:confused: Get 'em dirty, put 'em in a sock, run 'em through the wash...easy peasy...Gotta be careful with the cleaning rods around the muzzle, no worries with the 'snake...

Vikingdad 07-25-2012 04:40 AM

I have one for each caliber I shoot and use them at the range and at home in the loading shed for cleaning. I say go for it!

Rick1967 07-25-2012 05:09 AM

I have a bunch of different ones. They work great. I just throw them in the washer every once in a while.

44magmike 07-25-2012 12:47 PM

Ok i appreciate everybodys input.. Guess i will go ahead and buy one .

billt 07-25-2012 01:36 PM

I've seen 3 people at my local club break them off inside the barrel. They are becoming somewhat well known for this. Two of the guys couldn't get them out, and had to call it a day. One guy and I struggled for the better part of an hour, and used up half a can of WD-40, pushing and soaking it before getting it out of his AR.

If you feel the need to go to a pull through system, the Otis models use a vinyl coated steel cable with threaded tips and brushes, which is far more sturdy and will not break. Most of the Hoppe's Bore Snakes, (including the three I saw break), were older, and obviously beyond their service life. What generally happens is the solvents attack the integrity of the Nylon cord these things are manufactured from. That's generally when they let go.

I don't see a need for them because I clean thoroughly after each range session. I think the whole "pull from the breech" sales angle used with these things is highly overrated. If you use a good, one piece, coated cleaning rod like a Dewey, and know what you are doing, cleaning from the muzzle is not detrimental to any firearm.

Personally, for cleaning a sixgun, I think they would be a total PITA. Trying to run that thing through all six chambers would involve a lot of fumbling around. With a short rod you would be finished with all six chambers in the time it would take you to pull it through one. To me running a brush and patches both ways dislodges far more crud than all of this "pull through only" nonsense they employ to sell these things. This is a case of a company coming up with a product that has some limited use, but has to offset proven methods which have been successfully employed for decades, in order to sell it. I put "barrel break in's" into much the same category.

ScottA 07-25-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billt (Post 881377)
I've seen 3 people at my local club break them off inside the barrel. They are becoming somewhat well known for this. Two of the guys couldn't get them out, and had to call it a day. One guy and I struggled for the better part of an hour, and used up half a can of WD-40, pushing and soaking it before getting it out of his AR.

If you feel the need to go to a pull through system, the Otis models use a vinyl coated steel cable with threaded tips and brushes, which is far more sturdy and will not break. Most of the Hoppe's Bore Snakes, (including the three I saw break), were older, and obviously beyond their service life. What generally happens is the solvents attack the integrity of the Nylon cord these things are manufactured from. That's generally when they let go.

I don't see a need for them because I clean thoroughly after each range session. I think the whole "pull from the breech" sales angle used with these things is highly overrated. If you use a good, one piece, coated cleaning rod like a Dewey, and know what you are doing, cleaning from the muzzle is not detrimental to any firearm.

Personally, for cleaning a sixgun, I think they would be a total PITA. Trying to run that thing through all six chambers would involve a lot of fumbling around. With a short rod you would be finished with all six chambers in the time it would take you to pull it through one. To me running a brush and patches both ways dislodges far more crud than all of this "pull through only" nonsense they employ to sell these things. This is a case of a company coming up with a product that has some limited use, but has to offset proven methods which have been successfully employed for decades, in order to sell it. I put "barrel break in's" into much the same category.

I've used one on my Model 17, 10 shot revolver for years. No complaints.

You sound like some old codger griping about the internet just being another fad. ;)