Holsters.......
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Holsters.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7151 Times on 4304 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Default Holsters.......

I think I might like to get holsters for my guns. I have a scoped Mark II and a 6" GP100. How in the heck does one go about getting the correct holster for a gun? I was at a gun store today and they had dozens and dozens and DOZENS of holsters. I noticed there were ones specifically made to hold a scoped gun, but other than that, I wouldn't know which would fit my guns. Especially since they had a bin of used holsters that looked very nice to me. Nice leather ones. How does one choose a holster?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have a shoulder holster for my GP100; i will try to remember to check to see what kind it is. I have had good luck with fairly generic holsters, but i would be more picky for daily concealed carry where comfort would be more important.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Seconded on the shoulder rig for the GP, not a whole lotta places you can put that sucker!! Best thing I could tell you is to bring whatever gun you're shopping for and try each one out for fit. Custom made can get expensive and since IL won't let you carry,( I'm assuming you just want something for at the range or at home, ) you can get something to fit the bill without breaking the bank...It's just like shopping for anything else I suppose, whatever fits you best...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

The trouble with holsters is that you can't get enough. Once the perfect holster is found another mysteriously materializes the following week.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7151 Times on 4304 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I have a shoulder holster for my GP100; i will try to remember to check to see what kind it is. I have had good luck with fairly generic holsters, but i would be more picky for daily concealed carry where comfort would be more important.
Is your GP100 a 6" barrel?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Whatever holster you decide on, don't store your guns in their holsters for more than a few days at a time. Leather, and some other holster materials will hold moisture and impart that moisture to a gun over time, producing rust. Stainless doesn't mean "rustproof". My daily carry gun is removed from its holster over night, wiped down, and rests serenely on my nightstand until I get out of bed in the morning.... unless the need arises for me to retrieve it sooner.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Is your GP100 a 6" barrel?
Yes, just not the purty stainless like yours. The shoulder holster seemed very uncomfortable until i put the GP in it; then it seemed natural. It is not an expensive holster, just a nylon job that was made for revolvers in that size range. I am a smidge over 6' tall, so that may have an impact. I didn't want leather with my sweaty tendencies and environment.

If you go to MidwayUSA online, they have holsters sorted by the model of your handgun, so you can see some variety. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensio nid=14457

edit* Honestly, the height thing makes me wonder how you would like a "cross draw" type holster; that is what i want for my BP revolver.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #8

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
The trouble with holsters is that you can't get enough. Once the perfect holster is found another mysteriously materializes the following week.
THIS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Whatever holster you decide on, don't store your guns in their holsters for more than a few days at a time. Leather, and some other holster materials will hold moisture and impart that moisture to a gun over time, producing rust. Stainless doesn't mean "rustproof". My daily carry gun is removed from its holster over night, wiped down, and rests serenely on my nightstand until I get out of bed in the morning.... unless the need arises for me to retrieve it sooner.
THIS and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Yes, just not the purty stainless like yours. The shoulder holster seemed very uncomfortable until i put the GP in it; then it seemed natural. It is not an expensive holster, just a nylon job that was made for revolvers in that size range. I am a smidge over 6' tall, so that may have an impact. I didn't want leather with my sweaty tendencies and environment.

If you go to MidwayUSA online, they have holsters sorted by the model of your handgun, so you can see some variety. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensio nid=14457

edit* Honestly, the height thing makes me wonder how you would like a "cross draw" type holster; that is what i want for my BP revolver.
THIS...QFT

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I think I might like to get holsters for my guns. I have a scoped Mark II and a 6" GP100. How in the heck does one go about getting the correct holster for a gun? I was at a gun store today and they had dozens and dozens and DOZENS of holsters. I noticed there were ones specifically made to hold a scoped gun, but other than that, I wouldn't know which would fit my guns. Especially since they had a bin of used holsters that looked very nice to me. Nice leather ones. How does one choose a holster?
Winds.....please check out s and s holsters. Ssholsters.com He'll make you a custom one. Tell him Josh from the GOFFA sent you. Should hook you up.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

here is one for your ruger... think the other guys have the gp100 covered

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ruger-mk-1-ii-iii-scoped-holster.aspx?a=797062

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.