Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Holsters....... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/holsters-57197/)

winds-of-change 02-07-2012 05:50 AM

Holsters.......

I think I might like to get holsters for my guns. I have a scoped Mark II and a 6" GP100. How in the heck does one go about getting the correct holster for a gun? I was at a gun store today and they had dozens and dozens and DOZENS of holsters. I noticed there were ones specifically made to hold a scoped gun, but other than that, I wouldn't know which would fit my guns. Especially since they had a bin of used holsters that looked very nice to me. Nice leather ones. How does one choose a holster?

orangello 02-07-2012 12:52 PM

I have a shoulder holster for my GP100; i will try to remember to check to see what kind it is. I have had good luck with fairly generic holsters, but i would be more picky for daily concealed carry where comfort would be more important.

vincent 02-07-2012 01:03 PM

Seconded on the shoulder rig for the GP, not a whole lotta places you can put that sucker!! Best thing I could tell you is to bring whatever gun you're shopping for and try each one out for fit. Custom made can get expensive and since IL won't let you carry,( I'm assuming you just want something for at the range or at home, ) you can get something to fit the bill without breaking the bank...It's just like shopping for anything else I suppose, whatever fits you best...

PanBaccha 02-07-2012 01:53 PM

The trouble with holsters is that you can't get enough. Once the perfect holster is found another mysteriously materializes the following week. :)

winds-of-change 02-07-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 701795)
I have a shoulder holster for my GP100; i will try to remember to check to see what kind it is. I have had good luck with fairly generic holsters, but i would be more picky for daily concealed carry where comfort would be more important.

Is your GP100 a 6" barrel?

Jay 02-07-2012 06:55 PM

Whatever holster you decide on, don't store your guns in their holsters for more than a few days at a time. Leather, and some other holster materials will hold moisture and impart that moisture to a gun over time, producing rust. Stainless doesn't mean "rustproof". My daily carry gun is removed from its holster over night, wiped down, and rests serenely on my nightstand until I get out of bed in the morning.... unless the need arises for me to retrieve it sooner. :rolleyes:

orangello 02-07-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 701944)
Is your GP100 a 6" barrel?

Yes, just not the purty stainless like yours. The shoulder holster seemed very uncomfortable until i put the GP in it; then it seemed natural. It is not an expensive holster, just a nylon job that was made for revolvers in that size range. I am a smidge over 6' tall, so that may have an impact. I didn't want leather with my sweaty tendencies and environment.

If you go to MidwayUSA online, they have holsters sorted by the model of your handgun, so you can see some variety. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensio nid=14457

edit* Honestly, the height thing makes me wonder how you would like a "cross draw" type holster; that is what i want for my BP revolver.

vincent 02-07-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 701833)
The trouble with holsters is that you can't get enough. Once the perfect holster is found another mysteriously materializes the following week. :)

THIS...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 701980)
Whatever holster you decide on, don't store your guns in their holsters for more than a few days at a time. Leather, and some other holster materials will hold moisture and impart that moisture to a gun over time, producing rust. Stainless doesn't mean "rustproof". My daily carry gun is removed from its holster over night, wiped down, and rests serenely on my nightstand until I get out of bed in the morning.... unless the need arises for me to retrieve it sooner. :rolleyes:

THIS and...

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 701992)
Yes, just not the purty stainless like yours. The shoulder holster seemed very uncomfortable until i put the GP in it; then it seemed natural. It is not an expensive holster, just a nylon job that was made for revolvers in that size range. I am a smidge over 6' tall, so that may have an impact. I didn't want leather with my sweaty tendencies and environment.

If you go to MidwayUSA online, they have holsters sorted by the model of your handgun, so you can see some variety. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensio nid=14457

edit* Honestly, the height thing makes me wonder how you would like a "cross draw" type holster; that is what i want for my BP revolver.

THIS...QFT

g17frantz 02-07-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I think I might like to get holsters for my guns. I have a scoped Mark II and a 6" GP100. How in the heck does one go about getting the correct holster for a gun? I was at a gun store today and they had dozens and dozens and DOZENS of holsters. I noticed there were ones specifically made to hold a scoped gun, but other than that, I wouldn't know which would fit my guns. Especially since they had a bin of used holsters that looked very nice to me. Nice leather ones. How does one choose a holster?

Winds.....please check out s and s holsters. Ssholsters.com He'll make you a custom one. Tell him Josh from the GOFFA sent you. Should hook you up.

jjfuller1 02-07-2012 11:54 PM

here is one for your ruger... think the other guys have the gp100 covered

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ruger-mk-1-ii-iii-scoped-holster.aspx?a=797062