Holster Style preferences, particularly for the 1911 platform?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Holster Style preferences, particularly for the 1911 platform?

View Poll Results: Are Thumb Breaks on holsters neccessary?
Yes! Thumb Breaks are a necessary feature! 1 12.50%
No! Thumb Breaks are for sissies! 6 75.00%
Whatcha talkin' about...my t humb ain't broken! 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Holster Style preferences, particularly for the 1911 platform?

No...this is DEFINITELY NOT a *who do you think makes the best blahblahblah holster*...

Its a question on *preference* of a particular *feature* that seems to be in demand and/or gaining popularity, and I'm curious as to why...

Thumb breaks holsters, be it a IWB or OWB holster, whilst carrying a 1911.

With the safety features of a 1911 (thumb switch must be off and grip safety must be depressed before the gun will fire...) I'm curious as to why people seem to want thumb breaks. Even if carrying in Condition 1, the gun is really quite safe, won't discharge if dropped (unless you've done alot of "COUGH" *custom* "COUGH" trigger work with a Dremel on your own) and a well-made holster will provide the proper retention via friction for an OWB holster, and a thumb break on a IWB seems redundant if the reason is to prevent a gun grab, because, when properly concealed, no-one is supposed to be able to tell that there is a gun under your shirt to grab.

I personally can't see a reason for a thumb break on a IWB as its yet another step in drawing the weapon that you need to be mindful of, and you've already got enough to worry about in getting your cover garment cleared so that you can draw if, God forbid, its a life-or-death situation. Why add a thumb break to the list of possible snag points?

On a OWB, I can understand the reasoning for a bit more safety from a gun grab, especially when the firearm is being OC'd. Then again, you can carry OWB with a cover garment, and if properly concealed, the chances of a gun-grab are practically nil, because if a perp can't *see* it, how does he know to *grab* it?

So...do you prefer thumb breaks on your 1911 rigs, either IWB or OWB, and why?

This question is for CIVILIAN CARRY, not LEO, not Security Guard, not Prison Guard, etc...

The question is for the typical man-on-the-street civilian exercising his 2A rights.

Last edited by DragonLW; 12-31-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Clarification

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want a thumb break because the amount a continuous exertion I do keeps the weapon from working it's way out of the holster. Bending over at the waist several times in a row will show you what I'm talking about. The weapon tends to work it's way out. Now not all holsters exhibit this problem but I got used to the thumb break so I stuck with it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally see no need for a thumb break. IMO, the holster should retain the weapon without one and mine always have.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like a thumb break on a field holster. For hiking and hanging out in the woods, it makes sense to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thumb break is necessary for me, solely due to many hours of training with one. I feel strange with a holster without one. But then again a triple retention wouldn't bother me either...just what I am used to.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me