Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Holster and Concealed Carry Newbie Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/holster-concealed-carry-newbie-questions-36687/)

victorzamora 01-09-2011 10:26 PM

Holster and Concealed Carry Newbie Questions

Hey guys, I recently got a Px4SC in 9mm. My father, with the best of intentions, got me an OWB Fobus paddle holster. Well, I refuse to open carry...I feel like it's asking for a fight. I'd honestly rather just not carry.

Anyway, I'm a broke college kid and I intend to conceal. I want a way to carry with a holster that protects the trigger as I intend to carry with a round in the chamber and the safety off. Would it be irresponsible to hack at the paddle holster and modify it into an IWB holster? Also, does anyone carry without a holster of any kind? I've got too many big purchases to make soon to afford a nice holster for at least a little while.

rjd3282 01-09-2011 10:39 PM

I wouldn't carry without a holster. Use the fobus and put a shirt over it. I use a a paddle holster and just where a loose shirt or jacket over it.

victorzamora 01-09-2011 10:56 PM

I know what you mean about not carrying without a holster, and I really don't blame you for believing that. I just don't see how anyone can hid a Fobus paddle holster under a shirt. I'm 6'5" 230 (not a small frame) and still, I'm sure there's no way to conceal that thing.

I was hoping to take a dremel to it and hack off the entire paddle section of it. I was hoping to use the belt groove to help hold it IWB in small of back position for right handed draw. I don't know if you get what I'm saying, but it would help hold it up a little and would block the trigger. The only problem I have is not knowing how well I can draw it out of that. I might have to loosen the adjustment screw a pretty good bit.

c3shooter 01-10-2011 12:44 AM

Do not suggest carrying without a holster. Holsters do a couple of things- they keep dirt, lint, and the forgotten cough drop in the pocket out of your gun. Second, they RETAIN the gun. Until you have had a handgun slide under your waistband, ooze down your leg, and drop on the floor, you have not been embarrassed. There is also a major safety factor there. And there have been a few folks that have shot themselves in the whatnots doing that.

victorzamora 01-10-2011 03:46 AM

Well, I never plan on putting it in a pocket...and I would never tuck it into my buckle. I've been planning on carrying it tucked in my waistband in the small of my back, and have had good success carrying it around the house...even with a full clip. Tucked there, I have no fear of risking my whatnots. I also don't keep stuff randomly suspended between my jeans and my boxers :D. I think I'm going to go ahead and take a dremel to the Fobus Paddle if I don't like the way it looks in the small of my back (which I probably won't to be honest) and see how that turns out.

I have no intentions in ever using it, so no harm no foul right? Worst case, I'll save up and get a real holster. I'm looking into a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I'm also looking into this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANTS-IWB-Gun-Holster-4-Beretta-px4-subcompact-3-/140457924583?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3f1 d7e7#ht_2212wt_907

Drriley 01-10-2011 01:45 PM

I don't care for the paddle holsters either. Feels like the hang 3" away from your waist.
I use a Don Hume JIT belt holster that hugs tight and won't show under a shirt (and I
carry a full size 1911). can order on line or most good gun shops have them for less
than $30. a good leather holser just works better for me.

One other reccomendation. DON'T carry with the safety off. With practice, it doesn't
take much time to click the safety off and sure helps keeps that bullet out of your leg during the draw. (keep your finger off the trigger too.)

BigByrd47119 01-10-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorzamora (Post 418857)
I know what you mean about not carrying without a holster, and I really don't blame you for believing that. I just don't see how anyone can hid a Fobus paddle holster under a shirt. I'm 6'5" 230 (not a small frame) and still, I'm sure there's no way to conceal that thing.

I'm 6' 4" right about 250. I carry my KT P-11 in a Fobus with no issues what so ever. You must remember that to conceal carry effectively and comfortably, you must dress AROUND your style of carry. If all you have is a Fobus OTW holster, then you must adapt your way of dress to it. Otherwise, find a carry form that more closely matches your current style of dress.

Gojubrian 01-10-2011 03:06 PM

I'm 6'9" 330lbs and carry a large policeman under my wifebeater. :D

I'm joking. Take the time and money and invest in a good iwb holster like the crossbreed supertuck. It's comfortable enough and you won't have to worry about exposing your weapon. Milt Sparks has some nice options if you have the time and $$$$$!!

I"m 6"2 195lbs and use the supertuck for my xd40sc.

7point62 01-10-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drriley (Post 419278)
I use a Don Hume JIT belt holster that hugs tight and won't show under a shirt (and I
carry a full size 1911). can order on line or most good gun shops have them for less
than $30. a good leather holser just works better for me.

I'm gonna check that Don Hume JIT out for my SA 1911 4". It's hard enough to carry here in the subtropics; there's not much call for heavy clothing...you gotta have a real good holster fit, close in & snug to carry under light clothing. Thanks Dr

Bighead 01-10-2011 07:44 PM

+1 to the Don Hume JIT Slide. Excellent value for a great holster that carries very close to the body.

To the OP, I would not modify the holster. Buy something that suits your needs. You spent hundreds of dollars on your pistol, you can find a lot of inside-waistband holsters in the sub $50 range.

Good luck, let us know what you go with and how it works for you.