Hearing protection question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Hearing protection question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Hearing protection question

I I'm looking for some half decent hearing protection to replace my beat up old cans. What do you guys use? What do you suggest? Hell, what do you even look for when buying?
-thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

How well a hearing protection device works is shown by the NRR- Noise Reduction Ratio- marked on the package. Please note the higher the number, more noise it stops. About the highest out there are the foam disposable plugs- around 33. Muffs run about 20-25

Good muffs- look at part that fits around your ear, and adjustments. Will they fit with headgear, interfere with stock weld, get in way of shotgun, etc. Have had several really good industrial sets- I now keep 3 or 4 of the Harbor Freight cheapies in the toolbox of the truck. $1.99 with a coupon, they are cheap enuff to give away.

For REALLY loud stuff, I wear EAR foam plugs, muffs over those.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #3

That's what I'm using now. For the most part. These cans are industrial but I use the foam plugs too/instead

What about the electronic ones that allow low noise but cancel out anything over (I think) 85Db? I see a lot of professional-types running them... But in real life only see them when it's range instructors who need radio-comms...

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Liked 2386 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat
That's what I'm using now. For the most part. These cans are industrial but I use the foam plugs too/instead

What about the electronic ones that allow low noise but cancel out anything over (I think) 85Db? I see a lot of professional-types running them... But in real life only see them when it's range instructors who need radio-comms...
Have used those a bunch. Very nice if your teaching, or shooting with friends in a open space and talk a lot.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

What kind do you like Ky?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat
What kind do you like Ky?
IIRC they are peltor brand. My dad has them now. Think maybe around $50 when I got them. He has nicer brand pairs that are great.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Guess prices have gone up.

http://m.opticsplanet.com/peltor-tactical-6-sound-tra-tactical-trade-6-s-mt15h67fb-01.html

Oh dern....

Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7087 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

I wear foam ear plugs and my ear muffs. I can't remember right off hand what brand they are. The NRR of my muffs are 32.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Muffs get in the way on my cheek weld. Plugs, with or without strings, fall out of my ears. I like the plugs that are on a band that go behind your neck. They don't get in the way of my 'comb' and the band keeps them in. But you have get the right ones. The orange ones that Hickok45 uses work fine. Another brand I tried first didn't seal my ear canals.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've gotten good service out of these custom molded ear plugs. I wear them dove hunting and when shooting long guns that interfere with my cheek weld when wearing muffs. For shooting pistols I double up with muffs.

Reviews seem to be mixed with these types of products, but, again, these fit my ears well and I can wear them comfortably all day.

http://www.basspro.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/product/10213095/466677

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation